Rear vent power window help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear vent power window help needed

chromedome

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Hey guys, newbie here. Im having a problem with my rear vent window. Its stuck in the vent position and wont move up or down. Ive looked at a couple posts about this and someone mentions an emergency close method, but I cant find that method anywhere. Can someone please help me cause it's raining like crazy here right now. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the glass will not move up or down, the emergency close procedure wont help you. It only get's you past the "bounce-back" issue.

Have you checked your fuses? Sounds like either it's not getting power or the motor is dead.

I have checked the fuse and the switch, not sure how to get to the motor but I haven't had a chance to do much as it's been raining every evening by the time I get home.

I have checked the fuse and the switch, not sure how to get to the motor but I haven't had a chance to do much as it's been raining every evening by the time I get home.

Ford's stupid design for controlling the rear window uses a module rather than a simple UP/DN switch. I've had a few problems with mine, but my problem was apparently due to dirty window channels causing the "bounce-back" feature. Some silicon spray in the channels has fixed my issue.

You have to remove the plastic rear panel to get at the window motor. If mine ever gives me trouble again I'm going to ditch the dash switch and control module and just install a simple UP/DN window switch. If you run 12V power and ground to the 2 window motor wires and if the window still does nothing, you're motor's probably shot.

Well, I demolished the rear of my truck yesterday trying to get to the motor. Phew, what a task! I wasn't sure of the connections on the motor, but I tested the connector plug and there was 12v there, and it altered with the switch functions, so I guess the motor is shot. I've been looking online for a replacement, but so far all I can find is the regular window motors.

It's good to find out you have 12V going to the rear window motor and that it varies with the window switch, but you must also know if you have a good ground, That's why I suggested you to run 12V power and a ground directly to the motor. If you do this and nothing happens you know for sure the motor is dead. More than likely the motor is dead, but you want to be sure before throwing money/parts at a problem.

Thanks koda2000 and swshawaii. I'll do some more checking on the weekend if the weather is not too bad. At least I managed to close it manually and wedge it so I won't get flooded.

I think you will find the motor is ok, but the " brain " for window functions attached to the motor is your problem.

I cut connections to " brain " and connected directly to brushes of motor this gave power to motor in one direction. I used a window switch from another source and wired motor to it then I took power from cigar lighter to switch to give power in reverse direction.

It now works as an ordinary window does with no problems over the past 4 to 5 years.

For close to $200 for a replacement rear window motor (if that's the issue) I'd just shut my rear window permanently and call it fixed.

For close to $200 for a replacement rear window motor (if that's the issue) I'd just shut my rear window permanently and call it fixed.

That's what I'm thinking too!

Back