Rear Video Camera Wiring Protective Cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Video Camera Wiring Protective Cap

BobbyMarks

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT - 2012
Not sure if there is a thread about this, but when I took delivery of my EX the sales guy told me that "the wiring protective cap" part no: 9L3T-15A562-AB should be kept in the glove compartment in case needed to protect the camera. Didn't pay too much attention at that time but recently i was looking for something and came across the cap.
Looked in the OG as the lable in the plastic bag says, but no where to be found there. Not happy with that, did a web search and found in a Ford Raptor forum the explanation for such protective cap. The cap is used only in the eventuality of the rear gate is removed, to protect the camera wiring harness.

Here is the Raptor Forum link.

http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=8423

:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if there is a thread about this, but when I took delivery of my EX the sales guy told me that "the wiring protective cap" part no: 9L3T-15A562-AB should be kept in the glove compartment in case needed to protect the camera. Didn't pay too much attention at that time but recently i was looking for something and came across the cap.
Looked in the OG as the lable in the plastic bag says, but no where to be found there. Not happy with that, did a web search and found in a Ford Raptor forum the explanation for such protective cap. The cap is used only in the eventuality of the rear gate is removed, to protect the camera wiring harness.
Not sure how important that 'cap' is. I don't have one and this is the first I've heard about it on this Forum. I have also not come across this in the Owner's Guide either.
I would hope that if the liftgate has to be removed by the dealer, that they would have the necessary items on hand for that operation.

Peter

Never heard of one for the Explorer. Just because the Raptor got one doesn't mean the Explorer did.

I believe your sales guy must have been smoking crack the day he told you that.

Not saying that you guys never heard or seen one. Just saying it came with my EX, nothing else and was just asking if any of you have one in your glove compartment at the moment of delivery and the eventual purpose of the part.
It is real, and whatever they do with it in case service is needed is up to them.

IMG-20120729-00210.jpg

:usa:

Nothing about it in my Owner's manual..

By the way, the 9 first digit indicates a 2009 part number, too...

Neither in Mine, wierd.:eek:

Weird.

Sounds like it was left in the glove box and this guy is funning you! Never heard or saw one before. Sounds like rotating the air in your tires in the spring and fall!

Back