• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear View Camera when towing

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
I don't remember the exact wording but I seem to recall the owner's manual mentioned something that made is sound like the Rear View Camera might be available in 'D' when in the Tow mode. This would be handy to check the tow connection and the trailer.

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
That is not the case. No matter what mode the vehicle is in, it shuts off at over 5 mph.

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks JDraper. It sure seems like it'd be a useful feature.

KnobCreek

Reaction score
City, State
Bon Aqua, Tenn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
This is not the case. The camera only activates when the transmission is in reverse. See pages 237 - 241 of the owners manual. You can set the camera delay to on and drive less than six miles per hour so the camera will stay on but that would not be practical.
It would be handy if we could turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. Maybe someone can come up with a hack. I'm sure the Nannys would freak out knowing someone had done such a thing.

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
This is not the case. The camera only activates when the transmission is in reverse. See pages 237 - 241 of the owners manual. You can set the camera delay to on and drive less than six miles per hour so the camera will stay on but that would not be practical.
It would be handy if we could turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. Maybe someone can come up with a hack. I'm sure the Nannys would freak out knowing someone had done such a thing.
You were saying?
http://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch2.htm

KnobCreek

Reaction score
City, State
Bon Aqua, Tenn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
Kool! Anything the make the nannys freak out! I just may have to make the investment.

dco43054

Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 XLT
This is not the case. .
Eh? Which is not the case? What Jdraper said? He was correct.

There is a whole 'nother discussion on here on the lockpick hacks to activate the center screen and feed video to it from an auxiliary source.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Here's the wording from the owners guide that made me believe that the rear view camera might be usable when towing...

Note: When towing, the camera only sees what is being towed behind the vehicle. This might not provide adequate coverage as it usually provides in normal operation and some objects might not be seen. In some vehicles, the guidelines may disappear once the trailer tow connector is engaged.

Marathon Man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Rubberhead,

I read that to mean that while in reverse with a trailer attached you will just see the trailer and won't see what is behind the trailer. Well, duh of course, but they have to spell it out like "warning hot coffee may burn you if you spill it in your lap" on a coffee cup.

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Here's the wording from the owners guide that made me believe that the rear view camera might be usable when towing...

Quote:
Note: When towing, the camera only sees what is being towed behind the vehicle. This might not provide adequate coverage as it usually provides in normal operation and some objects might not be seen. In some vehicles, the guidelines may disappear once the trailer tow connector is engaged.
I agree that the wording of the first sentence is open to interpretation and that it may lead one to believe that it can be used in a normal driving condition.
You would have to marry the second sentence to the first to realize that it may only apply to 'Reverse' mode.

Peter

R56 Ed

Reaction score
City, State
AA Co. Marylandistan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Here's an option: Blackvue 2 channel dashcam

I just installed the single camera unit in my '14 Ex, and it's spectacular. It talks to my iPhone (or Android) by WiFi, so you can monitor the camera on your smart phone. Not recommended to pay a lot of attention to it while you're driving, but a passenger can watch closely. Add a phone holder to your dash and you're set. Hope this helps!