• Register Today It's free!

Rear View Camera when towing

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
I don't remember the exact wording but I seem to recall the owner's manual mentioned something that made is sound like the Rear View Camera might be available in 'D' when in the Tow mode. This would be handy to check the tow connection and the trailer.

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is not the case. No matter what mode the vehicle is in, it shuts off at over 5 mph.

Thanks JDraper. It sure seems like it'd be a useful feature.

This is not the case. The camera only activates when the transmission is in reverse. See pages 237 - 241 of the owners manual. You can set the camera delay to on and drive less than six miles per hour so the camera will stay on but that would not be practical.
It would be handy if we could turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. Maybe someone can come up with a hack. I'm sure the Nannys would freak out knowing someone had done such a thing.

This is not the case. The camera only activates when the transmission is in reverse. See pages 237 - 241 of the owners manual. You can set the camera delay to on and drive less than six miles per hour so the camera will stay on but that would not be practical.
It would be handy if we could turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. Maybe someone can come up with a hack. I'm sure the Nannys would freak out knowing someone had done such a thing.

You were saying?
http://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch2.htm

Kool! Anything the make the nannys freak out! I just may have to make the investment.

This is not the case. .
Eh? Which is not the case? What Jdraper said? He was correct.

There is a whole 'nother discussion on here on the lockpick hacks to activate the center screen and feed video to it from an auxiliary source.

Here's the wording from the owners guide that made me believe that the rear view camera might be usable when towing...

Note: When towing, the camera only sees what is being towed behind the vehicle. This might not provide adequate coverage as it usually provides in normal operation and some objects might not be seen. In some vehicles, the guidelines may disappear once the trailer tow connector is engaged.

Rubberhead,

I read that to mean that while in reverse with a trailer attached you will just see the trailer and won't see what is behind the trailer. Well, duh of course, but they have to spell it out like "warning hot coffee may burn you if you spill it in your lap" on a coffee cup.

Here's the wording from the owners guide that made me believe that the rear view camera might be usable when towing...

Quote:
Note: When towing, the camera only sees what is being towed behind the vehicle. This might not provide adequate coverage as it usually provides in normal operation and some objects might not be seen. In some vehicles, the guidelines may disappear once the trailer tow connector is engaged.

I agree that the wording of the first sentence is open to interpretation and that it may lead one to believe that it can be used in a normal driving condition.
You would have to marry the second sentence to the first to realize that it may only apply to 'Reverse' mode.

Peter

Here's an option: Blackvue 2 channel dashcam

I just installed the single camera unit in my '14 Ex, and it's spectacular. It talks to my iPhone (or Android) by WiFi, so you can monitor the camera on your smart phone. Not recommended to pay a lot of attention to it while you're driving, but a passenger can watch closely. Add a phone holder to your dash and you're set. Hope this helps!

Back