Rear view mirror wire harness (Electrical Help) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear view mirror wire harness (Electrical Help)

AeroRamer

Reaction score
City, State
Jax, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
Anyone have a schematic for the powered rearview mirror harness on the 2000 Ex Limited, or know which wires I can use to power a radar detector (RD) using the pigtail cable pictured below? I would like to power the RD when turning the ignition on.

The powered rear view mirror on the Ex has a wiring harness with 5 wires: Red/White, Green/Yellow, Black, Black/Pink, and White/Purple (pic below). Which wires should I use?

Pig tail cable:
invisicord.gif

Rearview mirror:
10027003654_3c71f215da_z.jpg

10027066876_563c06c726_z.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear View Harness Voltage

Here are the rearview mirror voltage values with the Ex off and on (running).

I know just enough of electricity to electrocute myself. :( I am confused with the + and - values. I used the voltmeter plus (red) wire on one connector at a time and checked the others with the negative (black) wire.

10027369536_0724a65a45_b.jpg

The general procedure would be to use a multimeter to determine which if any is connected to chassis ground, with a multimeter.

Once that is determined, if one is then clamp the negative meter probe to that wire or if none is, clamp it to the chassis as a ground.

Next, probe the other wires individually with the positive multimeter lead. If the reading isn't VERY near zero volts with vehicle off, move on to the next lead, accumulating a list of those near zero.

Next, turn the vehicle on and again probe those you listed in the last step. When you get a positive ~ 12V reading on one, that's the one you want.

Based on what AeroRamer posted, measure between chassis ground and Black, and chassis ground and Black/Pink. Whichever is closer to 0V, use that as negative and Red/White as positive to the radar detector... which is a guess because it looks like it is possible the meter polarity was reversed during the test.

Assuming that it's similar to my '98:

Red/Yellow (probably same as your Red/White): 12V Power; hot in Start or Run
Green/Yellow: 12V Power; hot at all times
White/Purple: Park lamp relay control
Black/Pink: Reverse sense
Black: Ground

If you want your detector to turn on with ignition, use the red/yellow for power and black for ground.
Note that this comes from a 7.5A fuse (#36), which also powers the temperature control, CD, message center, memory seats, etc. I don't know how much extra capacity is there. Hopefully, your RD consumption is not significant and won't overload the circuit with all the other loads active...

Anyone have a schematic for the powered rearview mirror harness on the 2000 Ex Limited, or know which wires I can use to power a radar detector (RD) using the pigtail cable pictured below? I would like to power the RD when turning the ignition on.

The powered rear view mirror on the Ex has a wiring harness with 5 wires: Red/White, Green/Yellow, Black, Black/Pink, and White/Purple (pic below). Which wires should I use?

/QUOTE]

I rechecked the voltage using the center black wire as ground. Using the voltmeter black lead on the black center wire and checking the other wires with the red lead I got these values listed below. So, I guess that follows what 1998Exp mentioned, and I should use Read/White (It may be Red/Yellow; I am partially color blind :mad: ) for power and Black for ground. Correct?

The RD pigtail has a 1.5A fuse on it.

10029902974_82057d3ddb_z.jpg

You just confirmed that Red/White is switched power.
If your RD has a 1.5A fuse, it probably draws less than half that much. Should not be a problem to add. Have fun (and drive responsibly)!

I rechecked the voltage using the center black wire as ground. Using the voltmeter black lead on the black center wire and checking the other wires with the red lead I got these values listed below. So, I guess that follows what 1998Exp mentioned, and I should use Read/White (It may be Red/Yellow; I am partially color blind :mad: ) for power and Black for ground. Correct?

The RD pigtail has a 1.5A fuse on it.

10029902974_82057d3ddb_z.jpg

Back