• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Bearing Hubs

ignis

Reaction score
City, State
Gardner, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
How long do these hubs typically last? I'm changing out my rear strut assemblies due to the common broken spring problem. I was wondering if now would be a good time to change the wheel bearings in the hubs. I've got 140k miles on my 2002 Explorer 4WD.

Also, so I can quickly get the right parts ordered, do you know if the rear will have ABS? I know the fronts do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the rear wheel bearing the ABS does not matter. The speed sensor for the rear is in the differential. The rear bearing is pressend into the knuckle, just an FYI. I can't believe you made it that many miles without having to replace them.

The rear bearing is pressend into the knuckle, just an FYI.

On the front, I can just replace the whole hub assembly. Can I do that on the rear? Or, would I save a lot of money by taking the knuckles to a shop to have the bearings pressed in & out for me?

Here is a link to a DIY for the rear bearings. Press is needed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915

You may be able to remove the knuckle and bring it in to have the bearings replaced. Some suggest replacing the hub (part with the studs to mount the wheels) at the same time as in some cases, the hub has very small damage that may make your new wheel bearings die early.

While doing this on a 140k mile vehicle, wouldn't it make sense to also replace the Toe Link and upper ball joint? I looked on Rockauto and AM-Autoparts, but couldn't find either. Are these replaceable components?

The upper ball joint is made into the upper control arm. I wouldnt try to replace just the ball joint. I tried to replace just the ball joint and the new joint stuck too far above the control arm and rubbed the inner part of my rim. Scrapped a nice groove when I tried to drive it.

I have taken my rear end apart a few times to replace the wheel hubs and bearings. I have replaced the hubs every time, just because. I have yet to replace the toe link but I properly will next time. The rubber boot is messed up from me removing it with a tie rod bar.

Check ebay for the parts. I have bought new parts and saved hundreds of dollars doing so. I like to check the autopart stores for the part number and then search ebay for that part number.

The upper ball joint is made into the upper control arm. I wouldnt try to replace just the ball joint. I tried to replace just the ball joint and the new joint stuck too far above the control arm and rubbed the inner part of my rim. Scrapped a nice groove when I tried to drive it.

I have taken my rear end apart a few times to replace the wheel hubs and bearings. I have replaced the hubs every time, just because. I have yet to replace the toe link but I properly will next time. The rubber boot is messed up from me removing it with a tie rod bar.

Check ebay for the parts. I have bought new parts and saved hundreds of dollars doing so. I like to check the autopart stores for the part number and then search ebay for that part number.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to press the hub bearing myself? I already have the tools rented to press ball joints since I was doing the fronts.

I figured I'd consider doing the rear b/c if I pull that knuckle off, i'm guessing I'm going to bugger up those boots.

Now, I don't even know yet if my wheel bearings are bad. I had one person so far say I'm overdue. What are other opinions? I've got to remove several of the components anyways to get at my struts. Might was well replace bearings is what I'm thinking. My only real problem is I've got to take the knuckle to a shop and have them pressed if I can't do it at home and that significantly increases my vehicle's down-time.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to press the hub bearing myself?

Sure, if you have at least a 15 ton arbor press. I removed the hub assemblies (w/ 90k miles) and had my bearings pressed out here at work in our machine shop. The 15 ton press was maxed out when we finally heard a loud pop. I didn't think we were going to be able to get them out.

Sure, if you have at least a 15 ton arbor press. I removed the hub assemblies (w/ 90k miles) and had my bearings pressed out here at work in our machine shop. The 15 ton press was maxed out when we finally heard a loud pop. I didn't think we were going to be able to get them out.

That's good to know. I was thinking of trying to get creative with my 2-ton floor jack and positioning it under something solid like a bench bolted to the ground. From what you're saying, I'm guessing 2-tons isn't going to cut-it...

I'm going to guess that a floor jack may not be the way to go and could be dangerous. Even with an arbor press we had to scour the shop for the appropriate scraps to use as adapters. We wanted everything to fit together precisely for the pressing operation.
Some here have had good luck by bringing the assembly to a machine shop, service station or Auto Parts store with a press.

I just ordered front wheel bearing hubs this morning for my 2002 Explorer 4x4. They won't be here until next week. In the mean time I started thinking about the rear bearings....your timing is great...LOL! I have about 120K miles on my Explorer. I thought the 4x4's with AdvanceTrac and RSC have a sensor on all four wheels.

Let us know your finding on the best place to get rear wheel bearings.

I just ordered front wheel bearing hubs this morning for my 2002 Explorer 4x4. They won't be here until next week. In the mean time I started thinking about the rear bearings....your timing is great...LOL! I have about 120K miles on my Explorer. I thought the 4x4's with AdvanceTrac and RSC have a sensor on all four wheels.

Let us know your finding on the best place to get rear wheel bearings.

I just ordered the rear bearings from eBay.

I can get a 20-ton bottle jack for $29.99 from eBay as well. So, I'm thinking of building my own press for about the same amount of money it'd cost me to pay someone to do the pressing for me. Typically I can find a socket just the right size. Or, if that doesn't work, perhaps even a peice of scrap wood cut to the perfect size would work as well.

Ignis, the bearings are quite large. I'd be surprised if you find a socket that size. Also, wood will crush under the required pressure.

Please be careful with a homemade press. Remember, this operation had our press at it's absolute limit. The machinist doing the work was at the edge of his comfort level when doing this.

If you shop around you should be able to find a place to do the work for a very reasonable cost.

Back