Rear Wheel Bearing, or something else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Bearing, or something else?

Fred93

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4WD
'93 XLT 4WD makes a 'thunk' in the right rear wheel when turning left. Tried the jack up the wheel, pull on one side of the tire while pushing on the other to test the bearings. Did not notice any wobble from that. However, if I pull straight out (along the axle line) and push straight in there's movement of maybe 1/16 inch or a bit more. Pulled off the brake drum and can see a silver line appear in the hub area when pulled out. Other wheels are solid with the same tests.

Is this from a bad wheel bearing, or is something else going on? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom. :)

-Fred93

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The internal C clip holds the axle in using pressure aganst the carrier gear, the center cross support pin keeps it from going too far in. Carrier wear would be my guess.

The axle bearing merely floats the axle.

Gracias Tortuga! That makes sense with the symptoms.
Sounds like it will require cracking open the rear diff. Probably a bit too messy and involved for my garage. Off to see the pro mechanic.

Thanks for the insight.

You might look at sway bar end links. Wheel bearings usually
do not make thunk noise unless it is VERY obvious.

Thanks Gary. Will definitely check the sway bar end links. Maybe time for new bushings?

the rear wheels/axle shafts will indeed move in and out about 1/16 of an inch or more it is totally normal on these 8.8 rear axles just FYI

Back