• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Bearings SKF good?

Number Twelve

Reaction score
City, State
15 miles west of Tampa Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm finding SKF bearings and chyneeze bearings around here. (That's what NAPA is selling right now.) Is SKF good or should I keep searching for MOOG? Somebody just said National Brand from Advance Auto Parts were what he used, but I looked real close and saw Chinese characters on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interested in this thread. it seems that most of them are made overseas. after doing research the only brand or company i felt comfortable with was Detroit Axle, who claim to make most of their own parts and assemble everything else here in the US.

I dont know if this is right or not, but checking at Napa and Autozone, i found the same thing regarding their bearings as you did.

No do not get Moog. Moog manufactures all over the world, you may get China, you may get Taiwan, you may get Mexico, you may get Canada. It's a total craps shoot with them.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

SKF is tied with Motorcraft around here. Some say they're actually better than Motorcraft.

So go with SKF...

ma8abd.jpg

2njipmp.jpg

I've heard bad things about Detroit Axle BTW...

No do not get Moog. Moog manufactures all over the world, you may get China, you may get Taiwan, you may get Mexico, you may get Canada. It's a total craps shoot with them.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

SKF is tied with Motorcraft around here. Some say they're actually better than Motorcraft.

So go with SKF...

ma8abd.jpg

2njipmp.jpg

I've heard bad things about Detroit Axle BTW...

thank you for this. ive looked for dissatisfied customers around the web and only kept finding stuff about their poor customer service. if you have have more detail on what the bads things are i would be interested.

They say motorcraft would be the best, but isnt that what was OEM and fails so often?

I am going to look over SKF now.

They say motorcraft would be the best, but isnt that what was OEM and fails so often?

I am going to look over SKF now.

The originals yes, I believe the new ones are redesigned...

The SKF rear bearing is a Timkin bearing. It's a roller style bearing which is the only style Timkin actually makes.

Stay away from Moog, people buy Moog for the same reason they buy Fram. Those companies sell crap but have a known name.

SKF is a high quality brand in the motorcycle world. I can only assume they make quality truck parts too.
Timken is the brand to buy though IMO

SKF is a high quality brand in the motorcycle world. I can only assume they make quality truck parts too.
Timken is the brand to buy though IMO

As I noted, Timkin only makes roller style bearings. Their hub bearings (like the front of the Explorers) are all overseas garbage. Same quality as Moog and other value lines.

Just a note: I've replaced my left front with Detroit Axle bearing / hub assy on 7.10.2014. Had to replace it on 1.23.2015. Didn't even last a year.

Just a note: I've replaced my left front with Detroit Axle bearing / hub assy on 7.10.2014. Had to replace it on 1.23.2015. Didn't even last a year.

Detroit Axle is Chinese junk.

we bought SKF front bearings for another vehicle. Expensive and made in USA.

I've used SKF on BMW stuff in the past and they are OEM. Timken is a name I've come to rely on for quality bearings. I wonder though, are Timken's made in the USA?
John

I've used SKF on BMW stuff in the past and they are OEM. Timken is a name I've come to rely on for quality bearings. I wonder though, are Timken's made in the USA?
John

I believe they are and SKF uses Timken bearings.

Another good bearing brand is KOYO out of Japan but I've never come across any offered for Explorers, I think they must only make parts for imports.

Don't use Timken on the front, they are not made by Timken.

SKF is a trusted name in the full size truck world, so I'd assume they are making quality bearings for everything. They are usually considered the best replacement bearings you can get, but can be a bit expensive, but it's worth not having to do again in a year.

SKF is a trusted name in the full size truck world, so I'd assume they are making quality bearings for everything. They are usually considered the best replacement bearings you can get, but can be a bit expensive, but it's worth not having to do again in a year.

and the amazing thing is they are cheaper than the Motorcraft! Probably due to less profit margin / mark up / greed. lol

I bought the SKF bearing today. Boy is that sucker big!
The left rear wheel can be wobbled by at least 1/4 inch at the tread.:eek:
It's a good thing I read all about it here. I knew what was wrong when I heard the roar start at 40 MPH.
The sound stays consistent with speed and does not respond to throttle pressure changes.
Now that the daily heat index is about 95F I will probably do the work at night.:(
Spraying the lawn for no-see-ums tonight so I won't have to be slapping them all night Thursday.
Waiting for a day when me and my nephew feel strong and healthy, then we'll double team it.
I also started soaking the relevant parts with Rust Buster today.
Seafoam fixed the gas gauge problem.
I amputated the connection from the alarm to the horns so it won't wake the neighbors up if a door switch goes bad.

Congrats on the Website upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought the SKF bearing today. Boy is that sucker big!
The left rear wheel can be wobbled by at least 1/4 inch at the tread.:eek:
It's a good thing I read all about it here. I knew what was wrong when I heard the roar start at 40 MPH.
The sound stays consistent with speed and does not respond to throttle pressure changes.
Now that the daily heat index is about 95F I will probably do the work at night.:(
Spraying the lawn for no-see-ums tonight so I won't have to be slapping them all night Thursday.
Waiting for a day when me and my nephew feel strong and healthy, then we'll double team it.
I also started soaking the relevant parts with Rust Buster today.
Seafoam fixed the gas gauge problem.
I amputated the connection from the alarm to the horns so it won't wake the neighbors up if a door switch goes bad.

Congrats on the Website upgrade.

Looking to replace the hub assembly on my wife’s explorer. How did that SKF bearing hold up?

Thanks

Back