Rear Wheel Hubs/Bearings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Hubs/Bearings

Thanks. I'll check with them.

I want to do the hub and the bearing so that I can take the new hub and bearing to get pressed and have them ready to put on when I am able to do the work, as this is my daily driver.

The bearing presses onto the hub which presses into the rear knuckle. Something like that. They'll need all three components to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bearing presses onto the hub which presses into the rear knuckle. Something like that. They'll need all three components to do it.

Damnit, I forgot about the knuckle! Maybe I should just buy a press.....

I'd replace the hub. Not the knuckle obviously. The hub can get out of round pressing it. Then you won't know until it's back on and wobbles. At which point you get to pay another $50 and have certainly spent more than you saved.

Ford used to require the hub be replaced and have only recently said otherwise. Saving $ gets the job I suppose.

Meh, just check it with a indicator dial.

fordtechmakuloco didn't change the hub...

The actual pressing is what I would want to do myself! lol. Any shop can remove and install the assembly. The pressing has to be done a certain way as to not damage the new bearing. I think that's why so many go bad so fast after being replaced. I'm betting dumb shops are damaging the new bearings putting them in.

Meh, just check it with a indicator dial.

fordtechmakuloco didn't change the hub...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyqNoR02FQ

The actual pressing is what I would want to do myself! lol. Any shop can remove and install the assembly. The pressing has to be done a certain way as to not damage the new bearing. I think that's why so many go bad so fast after being replaced. I'm betting dumb shops are damaging the new bearings putting them in.

That is the same guide I followed. However, mine still shakes up a storm on the interstate. Perhaps when I went over the curb at costco did more damage than I thought.

I've personally done the press work on over 100 Explorer rear wheel bearing/hub replacements. I am from Minnesota so we deal with many that are quite rusty. Never needed more than a 20 ton press (which is what we had at our shop) to do the disassembly/reassembly of any unit.

Some notes on the process:

The hub is pressed out to the outer side of the knuckle, and then the bearing (or what's left of it) is pressed out to the inside of the knuckle assembly. There is a large snap ring holding the bearing in the knuckle. Remove this before attempting to press the bearing out. I never used snapring pliers on these, I started on one side with an awl and two flat bladed screwdrivers, working my way around until the entire ring was removed.

The bearing will be destroyed when pressing out the hub, the outer-most inner race will come with the hub and is notoriously difficult to get off with a press as most bearing sharks will not grab the shallow groove in the race. I normally used a large chisel and hammer to create a gap between the race and hub, allowing room for a shark to be used behind the base of the race. If you use a cutoff wheel make sure not to damage the hub, and if you use heat you can cause other problems, so do your best to use tools and avoid heat.

If the hub surface where the inner race is pressed on has become corroded, blue/black with becoming overheated, or the bearing spun and created a groove the hub must be replaced, otherwise reusing the old hub is fine.

When removing the (rest) of the bearing from the knuckle assembly it is *very* important to properly support the knuckle so that your plane across the bearing circumference is near exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the direction of force you will be applying (with the press ram). This will be equally important on reassembly, and is an order of magnitude more difficult as the outer face does not sit nice and flat by itself. Take your time in setting up your press table and knuckle assembly. This is very important, as the forces at work to do this job are immense.

It is important *where* you are applying force and *what* you are supporting when doing the presswork when dealing with the new bearing installation. You must *only* apply force to the outer race when installing the bearing into the knuckle (use the old outer race on top of the new one). When pressing the knuckle and bearing down onto the hub you must apply the force to the *inner* race area to properly seat it.

Once it is reassembled (don't forget to reinstall the snapring!) reinstall on the vehicle paying special attention to torque specs for the axle nut, and use a properly set torque wrench.

Some final notes on just going out and buying a press...you will likely not have enough sturdy things laying around of the proper size to press on the appropriate areas you will need to apply force to. There is more to using a press properly than *just* the press itself. Adapters, old bearings or seal drivers, rings made of steel of various sizes, varying thickness steel plates to prop on, etc. are necessary to do the job safely.

I hope some of this information helps you or someone else researching this topic.

Thanks for the info [MENTION=303130]NineFootNails[/MENTION]. I know my local guy uses old Explorer rear bearing parts to assist when doing this.

Some final notes on just going out and buying a press...you will likely not have enough sturdy things laying around of the proper size to press on the appropriate areas you will need to apply force to. There is more to using a press properly than *just* the press itself. Adapters, old bearings or seal drivers, rings made of steel of various sizes, varying thickness steel plates to prop on, etc. are necessary to do the job safely.

I hope some of this information helps you or someone else researching this topic.

Yes, don't buy a press without also buying a press accessory kit.

Thanks for the all the info. You guys rock!!

So, in looking around for a press (before I saw your post Guru), if found out that my buddy has a 12-ton press. Do you think this will work?

Also, should I take a chance on just getting the bearings and seeing what I find out about the hub when I get in there, or should I go for the hub/bearing package?

Thanks for the all the info. You guys rock!!

So, in looking around for a press (before I saw your post Guru), if found out that my buddy has a 12-ton press. Do you think this will work?

Also, should I take a chance on just getting the bearings and seeing what I find out about the hub when I get in there, or should I go for the hub/bearing package?

If it's a free option I'd give it a try, but I've been reading that 20-ton's barely get the job done.

IMHO buying hubs are a waste of money unless there is something wrong with them.

So, I finally got around to doing this project. Got the Timken bearings from rockauto and went to work this weekend. No real issues getting everything taken apart. The biggest problem was getting the knuckle off of one of the upper control arms. Other than that, pretty smooth sailing until I went to get the bearings pressed out/in.

The shop where I took everything to get the press work done took two hours to do one side (which they said came out in pieces) and couldn't get they other bearing out. They said they had a 20 ton press and couldn't get it to move at all and recommended that I go to a junk yard to find a used one that might have a decent bearing in it.

I put the repaired side back together and thought about just putting the old one on the other side, but I gave the local Napa machine shop a call and explained to them what happened. They said they do about 5 of these a month and that they could get it out no problem. Said the other shop just didn't have big enough tools. I took it to them and, sure enough, they got it out. Didn't take long at all.

Got everything back together and man does she ride quiet!

The only problem I ended up with in all of this was that I found out that one of the rear springs was busted near the top coil. Next project, I guess....

Thanks again to everyone for all their help!

Back