• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Studs ?

Xavi77s

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Sooooo yeah I have a ? About replaceing some rear wheel studs (first timer on this) I have a 95x xlt so I removed the tire & the drum & then I got stuck there for me to replace a stud do I have to remove the parking brake shoe so I can have space to work or is there another way ........looks to me the next step is removing the shoe but wanted to make sure first with my fellow x riders lol :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say you will definately have to remove the parking brake shoes, then I'm not sure you will have room for the new stud.Been a while since I had the rear rotor off, so not sure how much room there is. If it were mine, I would just pull the axle. Depending on how tight the stud is in the axle, you could risk damaging the rear end by beating on the stud to remove it. If the stud is not rusted too tight, you probably be all right to leave the axle in, provided you have enough room.

I would say you will definately have to remove the parking brake shoes, then I'm not sure you will have room for the new stud.Been a while since I had the rear rotor off, so not sure how much room there is. If it were mine, I would just pull the axle. Depending on how tight the stud is in the axle, you could risk damaging the rear end by beating on the stud to remove it. If the stud is not rusted too tight, you probably be all right to leave the axle in, provided you have enough room.

i just removed the shoe & no i dont have enough room now The problem is have\ing enough room to get the studs in its not to rusted infact with just two hits from a reguler hammer did it with the broken studs but no room for the new studs (i never pulled an axel is it hard to do & do you know of any threads on here that show how ?) & btw thank you for the help :D

i just removed the shoe & no i dont have enough room now The problem is have\ing enough room to get the studs in its not to rusted infact with just two hits from a reguler hammer did it with the broken studs but no room for the new studs (i never pulled an axel is it hard to do & do you know of any threads on here that show how ?) & btw thank you for the help :D

o yeah & do you need any speacil tools?

No "special" tools needed. There is a thread on here about pulling the axles, but I am not smart enough to tell you how to find it. So, aI will try to tell you.
Remove rear end cover, draining the oil.
Rotate rear gears till you see the small bolt holding the center pin. Remove bolt and center pin. Push axles in and remove c-clips.
Remove axles.
While you have the axles out, and if you have the bucks, replace the axle seals.
Silicone the cover gasket surfaces after cleaning. Fill with new gear oil and additive if you have limited slip rear end.

No "special" tools needed. There is a thread on here about pulling the axles, but I am not smart enough to tell you how to find it. So, aI will try to tell you.
Remove rear end cover, draining the oil.
Rotate rear gears till you see the small bolt holding the center pin. Remove bolt and center pin. Push axles in and remove c-clips.
Remove axles.
While you have the axles out, and if you have the bucks, replace the axle seals.
Silicone the cover gasket surfaces after cleaning. Fill with new gear oil and additive if you have limited slip rear end.

i read on another fourm from some from some expert that you can trim the bolts so they can slip in dont remeber the site but it shows the guys background it said he had 12+ years with ford exploresr & was a business owner for selling ford explorers was consedered an expert on them what do you think try it out or not ?

Short-Cut

:thumbsup:
Sooooo yeah I have a ? About replaceing some rear wheel studs (first timer on this) I have a 95x xlt so I removed the tire & the drum & then I got stuck there for me to replace a stud do I have to remove the parking brake shoe so I can have space to work or is there another way ........looks to me the next step is removing the shoe but wanted to make sure first with my fellow x riders lol :salute:

this is what i did follow link

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364922

I was able to replace all 5 studs on the rear passenger side last summer without pulling the axle or cutting the studs down. All it took was some (read: a lot) of patience. It's was a pain in the rear, but it can be done.

I also replaced one in the rear also a few months ago. Took like 30 minutes I think to get the new one in correctly. PITA to get in there, but I did it. No axle removal or anything, but that would make it easier...but not worth the work to remove the axle.

I was able to replace all 5 studs on the rear passenger side last summer without pulling the axle or cutting the studs down. All it took was some (read: a lot) of patience. It's was a pain in the rear, but it can be done.

So with just alot of brute force ? I cut mine so I wouldn't scratch or damage the shield

Back