• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheels wobble (I think)

SidCharming

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limted
My Vehicle: 2005 Ford Explorer XLT v6 Gas (4door)

Issue as I reported to mechanic: When driving down the highway, the steering is UBER sensitive. It feels like the vehicle is (best I can describe) fishtailing very slight (I thought front alignment was bad, so I asked mechanic to verify alignment was the fix) and I have to use minute adjustments in steering, to correct the problem. These minute adjustments are constant and ongoing treatment to the feel. The feel is small enough that passengers in the truck get a little motion sickness... again the motion is very minor but enough to be felt.

Mechanic said its due to the truck having independent suspension and the connector to keep the wheel straight is worn out... not sure what he called the bar (and I am refraining on saying what I believe it is so I get a solid).

two part question... 1.) what is it called? 2.) is it an easy part replacement (knowing I may need to cut bolt due to rusted). Can I do this in my driveway or do I need special tools to change out parts?

Image of what I believe is the issue part (again, mechanic didn't point it out, so I am guessing at the part)
Circled in red in attached image

Rear part in question.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear Inner and Outer tie rod end. Fronts are listed in with them so pay particular attention.

2002 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Tie Rod End | RockAuto

You need 2 of each, quality is very important here. DIY is not advisable because you have to get them re installed in perfect alignment.

Rear Inner and Outer tie rod end. Fronts are listed in with them so pay particular attention.

2002 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Tie Rod End | RockAuto

You need 2 of each, quality is very important here. DIY is not advisable because you have to get them re installed in perfect alignment.

Is that different than the Rear Upper Control Arm & Toe Link for LEFT and RIGHT? I recall mechanic saying Toe Link (which I was thinking was slang for the bar I pointed to in the picture)... If Toe Link is a bad part he said and I am pointing to the wrong part in image, can you direct me to what part I should be looking at?

Thanks a bunch... this is new stuff for me (rear independent suspension)

Rob

Your rear IRS has steering capabilities which are not actually used except for making rear alignment adjustments.

. Toe link=tie rod.

Item 5 you have circled is actually 2 parts. To the left end of item 5 is the inner tie rod end, threaded onto the longer bar which is the outer tie rod end.

Look at the pictures of the parts on the rockauto site above, it should clear it up.

edit, 2005 explorer steering parts here

2005 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Tie Rod End | RockAuto

I replaced mine with MEVOTECH CMS40158 More Information for MEVOTECH CMS40158

$30.79 each and LLT warranty.

Keep in mind. If you can move the wheel only on the vertical axis by hand with the vehicle off the ground then this will solve your problem. But if you can also move it on the horizontal axis and everywhere in between then it's your wheel bearing that is loose/bad.

Back