Rear window broken cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window broken cable

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Just bought this '91 X.
It has electric windows. I'm told that the one window in the back seat has a good window motor but the cable broke.
A friend here at work has the same issue with his '93.
I didn't find anything when I SEARCHED
Is this a typical issue with Explorers? Any known fix before I pull the Panel this weekend?
Can I just buy/make a cable or do I have to buy a whole motor assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done one of those on your year truck but if you are talking about the window regulator then you will need to buy a new one.

Yes, the cable on the Regulator is what I'm talking about.
Didn't get to take a look this weekend. Busy doing Plugs Wires and over all cleaning the thing up. The paint was pretty chalky.. lookin good now though..better then I thought.

Anyway. Is the Regulator pop riveted on the door or is this an easy swap over witha new one?

Yeah it's riveted to the door. Easy to do if you have or can borrow a big daddy riveter.

Bicycle hand brake cable

Took the Door Panel off last night. It's a simple bicycle hand brake cable that is used.

There is too much sheetmetal in the way for me to understand how this is supposed to work when it's functioning.

Does anyone have a Pic of a Door Regulator outside of the door?

I'm sure I can pull the Regulator and fix it with a $4 bicycle cable IF I can see hoe it works mechanically.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could take a picture of mine. I took my regulator motor assembly off (passenger rear door) due to a broken cable and haven't got it fixed yet. After you post, I went out and found the part and looked at it. The portion that holds the pulley and cable is bolted on with three Robert's head (square headed screwdriver) bolts. Then release a couple of plastic tabs and you can get at the cable on it's pulley.
If you get it fixed using a bicycle cable, post how you did it. I would appreciate any help in getting mine fixed without buying a whole new regulator.

After cruising the SEARCH on Regulators, it seems like the Rear regulators poop out pretty often. I plan on having my camera handy if I 'Play' with this. It may help a lot of people if I can figure something out.

My right rear window cable is so frayed that it wont go up very fast and sometimes wont even go up. I just need to know how to get the regulator assembly out of the door to fix it.

Well, my pass. rear window cable broke today. I was wondering if anyone who had posted on this thread figured out what to do. I lodged my window up with a board for right now. It looks fairly simple to take out, but I'll have to fix or replace the same day. If anyone has any ideas please respond.

I just took apart the motor and replaced the cable with a bike cable to equal length. The mechanic in town told me it would be a 300 dollar part plus around 80 to put it in for me, I would rather pay 2 dollars for a bike cable.

The bike cable worked out?
Did you have to drill out the rivets to get the Regulator out to do this?

Thank you for the info, hopefully will get to try it out this weekend. I plan on taking pics. with the camera (mainly because sometimes I forget how it came apart :cool: )

Gave it a try today

OK today I removed the window regulator and motor. had to drill out a total of 7 rivets(2 of them for the window). I actually punched the center part out first then drilled it out with a large drill bit. You'll have put a flat tip screw driver behind it to keep it from spinning. I actually changed both cables. The second time I tried :rolleyes: (measure once cut twice) :rolleyes: I replaced the lower on first. I then rolled it up inside the motor. This gave me the right measurment for the top one. and it was easy to install because I only had to make one loop. Well, it all worked fine. Of course once I had reinstalled everything one of the cables popped off. I think it was because I tried to use a electrical connector to secure it into the motor and it didn't hold. It was easy the other side because the cables had a swedge, I think thats what it's called. So if any one know's how to make an end on the other side please let me know. I also recomend working at the door. I had a little table that was the perfect height I could plug the motor in on the table to the door to check everything. I took some picures put it's just as easy to describe unless someone wants to see the inside of the motor.

The bike cable worked fine for me except I only had to replace the top cable.

you found a length of bike cable that had the little stoppers on both ends the right length? I was going through my tackle box today and found some small round leader wieghts that look like they should work, will try that when the weather gets better. I replaced both because the lower cable looked frayed and I felt it was worth the extra couple dollars to not have to do that again.

Back