Rear window defroster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window defroster

tlveik

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
We had snow today, first snow since I picked up my 2018 XLT. I noticed that the rear window defroster was running, but I didn't turn it on. Does it run automatically?

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you remote start? I notice my 17, if it's cold out, will automatically turn on if I remote start it.

If it wasn’t remote start...does your XLT have dual climate or Sync 3? Some of the climate settings on newer Fords can activate the rear/mirror defrosters. For example, our Escape turns them on by itself if you select “Max Defrost.”

No, I didn't remote start. I do have dual climate I think. It allows a difference between drivers side and passenger side if that is what you mean. I do have Sync 3. I did not have Max Defrost on. In fact the heater wasn't on at all. I typically don't use it for really short trips.

I'll look through the Sync 3 settings to see if I can find something it there that would run the rear window heater automatically.

We had snow today, first snow since I picked up my 2018 XLT. I noticed that the rear window defroster was running, but I didn't turn it on. Does it run automatically?

Tom
Hi Tom. I've also noticed the same thing this past Winter. My Climate is on 'Auto' and no defroster settings are ON. Not worried about it.

Peter

does your XLT have dual climate or Sync 3? Some of the climate settings on newer Fords can activate the rear/mirror defrosters.
Didn't see anything different in Sync3 than my buttons do.

Hi Tom. I've also noticed the same thing this past Winter. My Climate is on 'Auto' and no defroster settings are ON. Not worried about it.
Peter
If it's going to run automatically they should at least light the light on the button to show what is happening. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong. That is a battery drainer if there is something wrong.

........If it's going to run automatically they should at least light the light on the button to show what is happening. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong. That is a battery drainer if there is something wrong.
When the ignition is OFF so is the rear defrost. I've had to brush snow off the rear window and there was no sign that the defrost was on.

Peter

Back