Rear Window Glass Hinges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Glass Hinges

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hey everyone, amidst all the other issues I've been having this month on my Explorer, one of the rear window hinges decided to break off leaving the glass panel dangling on one side, it made for a very interesting removal process fighting with the lifters and trying to avoid breaking the glass. So I ordered the replacement hinges at a cost of $70+ and attempted to install them. Even with tightening them down real good the glass is still able to shift and move around when opening and closing. With the lifters installed it pushed the panel down so far that it won't even close as it makes contact with the liftgate.

It appears the issue may be in the absence of the plastic washers that fit in between the torx bolt and the glass. The originals were corroded and broken in two. Right now I managed to install the glass but can't use it as it takes a lot of effort to line it up properly so it closes tight. It's not going anywhere but seems really sketchy since the glass is able to shift around. Is it the plastic washers or something else I'm missing? The issue is the torx bolts to the hinges, not the hinges to the body. The new hinges also don't sit flush against the glass like the old ones do.

Note: The recall/repair at the dealership was already performed on this Explorer by the previous owner, so no luck there either.

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d go to the wrecking yard and grab the entire glass portion of a hatch.

Couldn't you just put some small rubber washers on either side of the glass and snug it up.. Even hose washers of the right type might work. Fortunately mine has not been an issue yet.

I’d go to the wrecking yard and grab the entire glass portion of a hatch.
That may be a good idea considering the entire assembly at my yard is only $30. Though what do I do about the notorious plastic trim panel that cracks on some of these? Are those able to be swapped in order to match the color?

Couldn't you just put some small rubber washers on either side of the glass and snug it up.. Even hose washers of the right type might work. Fortunately mine has not been an issue yet.
That would probably work, only issue is the thread on the inside of the hinges literally broke off and is stuck in the thread on the torx bolts. So now I need to find a good pair of hinges again

I can look for a pair in the junkyard tomorrow. PM me if interested...

Back