• Register Today It's free!

Rear window hinge bold and washer

Donalddorn

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I was just wondering if there is anything I should look out for before I try to remove the hinge bolt? It is really rusted and I wanted to paint it or get SS and replace it. I don't want to break the window as is with my luck. Thank you in advance for any info :) Also it should say BOLT in the title not bold....sorry

REARHINGE.jpg

You might consider disconnecting the struts and supporting the glass first.
As you can see those bolts are not that sturdy, don't want the glass popping out on you.

Probably be hard to find the correct style in stainless. I’d just get a factory one and replace it. That’s abnormally rusty. Crusty as it is it might be seized in the aluminum threads in the hinge.

You might consider disconnecting the struts and supporting the glass first.
As you can see those bolts are not that sturdy, don't want the glass popping out on you.
@hlg99
Absolutely! On my '04, the clearance in the mounting holes allowed the glass to be pushed out of line by the gas struts while the glass was open. It then would not latch.

Tricky job, best way is allow struts to hold glass open in their extended position, then support the glass in exactly that position. This requires an adjustable support. I used a cable from above, secured to my roof truss. In that position, supported, the hinge bolts may be removed one at a time.

Tricky job. imp

Back