Rear window mod to make it adjustable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window mod to make it adjustable?

cz413

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Sport Trac
I’m not exactly sure how it works allowing it only to be vented, open, or closed.

I want it to be like a regular window to be infinitely adjustable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m not exactly sure how it works allowing it only to be vented, open, or closed.

bump

......would have to draw out a wire diagram for a thorough explanation........but here's how I (basically) did mine.

Remove the dash panel.

Separate the wire connector from the back of the window switch.

Remove the window switch from the panel.

Re attach the window switch back onto the wire connector.

Place the switch and wire harness safely inside the dash. ...... Keeping this switch and these factory wires connected is absolutely necessary so that all other windows continue to operate properly.

Next, head over to a local salvage yard and....

Obtain another Sport Trac window switch. With that switch, you'll also want the electrical connector for it. Make sure you cut the wires long enough so you can add length to them.

Get the window motor electrical connector as well with some length of its wires.

Get two power relays.

Get two wires with inline fuses.

Get a spool of wire.

Now here's the boreing part: Research and understand how to properly install power relays. If you can install a car audio system or aftermarket driving lights, you should be able to install power relays and wires to operate the window.

The back of the switch has five wires. You will use three of these wires. One wire is power coming into the switch. The other two wires will be sending power out of the switch.
Use one of these wires to (send) power to a relay. Use another one of these wires to (send) power to the other relay. One relay makes the window go up, the other relay makes the window go down.

The window motor isn't like a battery in the sense that positive is always positive and negative is always negative........the window motor spins one way or the other depending on which way the electricity (polarity) is applied (flows thru it).

You MIGHT be able to go directly off the switch, since it has 4+ wires on the back of it, but I doubt it would last very long before failure.

I had an issue with my sport trac wiring a while back..

The rear window operated like a regular window. Couldnt figure out what was going on with it. Never replaced a single fuse or anything and it randomly went back to operating like normal. No idea what caused it

I had an issue with my sport trac wiring a while back..

The rear window operated like a regular window. Couldnt figure out what was going on with it. Never replaced a single fuse or anything and it randomly went back to operating like normal. No idea what caused it
Now if we can only duplicate that issue lol.

Back