Rear window. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window.

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
'99 Explorer, rear window pivots on the hinges and I have to line them up to close the window. How do I fix this problem? Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not had to do this repair to mine but it seems like a broken window regulator? You'd need to remove the interior door panel of course, see if you can see any fault using a mirror and flashlight, then if it's the regulator, IIRC there are rivets to drill out to remove it. There's probably a topic about it in this forum.

Oops, where is the extra play coming from? See the following post, either it is just loose or if the stud is broken you'll need a new hinge piece:

Rear window hinges

I think what you are describing are loose hinges where they attach to the body. You'll need to detach at least the upper part of the inside hatch trim panel in order to access them. I can't remember if they require a torx or socket to tighten, though. Mine was doing this same thing until I tightened them. May also be loose at the glass. Those require a torx on the backside. Be gentle when snugging those up...don't want to break the glass.

Thanks. on another post koda explained how to do it also. You were right. The bottom nuts are 10mm and the top torx is a T27. Mine's done.

@Alex from GA , out of curiosity, where about in GA are you from?

I have a pair of used hinges available, if needed...

Back