Rear windshield washer / need more than 5...10 sec. to start... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear windshield washer / need more than 5...10 sec. to start...

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Rear windscreen washer / need more than 5...10 sec. to start...

Is it normal, that the rear washer begins to work about 5...10 sec. after turned to "on" ? The wiper starter at once...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are talking about the fluid, it takes 2-3 seconds for it to spray when triggered for me if I haven't used it recently. Once I use it, it is immediate if I use it again within a few minutes but once it sits for a while, seems it needs to prime before it sprays again.

Yes, sorry, I mean the REAR windscreen washer fluid, som sprays on the windshield after about 5 sec. ...always, also when I use it several times...wiper starts immediately but the fluid needs time to come out...

Sounds like a check valve in the line isn't working.

I'll be a little more detailed. When I use the button to spray, it takes 1 sweep (right to left) before it sprays.

Mine acts the same as verified above, if no use for an extended amount of time slight delay before I get fluid. My 13 was like this too.

Normal. I presume it is draining back over time into the reservoir.

I've had it happen on both front and rear, but always with the rear. It's definitely 5+ seconds before the washer fluid shows up in the rear. Sometimes I have to stop and start again to get it to show up. I've had it happen with the front too, but only once or twice.

Ok, so I have to accept it as it is...

Ok, so I have to accept it as it is...
I've had this happen on all previous vehicles, especially if the washer hasn't been used for a while.

Peter

You could always install a tank closer to the rear window but then you would have to tap into the vehicles wiring to run the pump on that tank.

You could always install a tank closer to the rear window but then you would have to tap into the vehicles wiring to run the pump on that tank.
That's way more work than needed. Add a simple, generic check valve in the line close to the reservoir, problem solved.

That's way more work than needed. Add a simple, generic check valve in the line close to the reservoir, problem solved.

If it is draining back into the reservoir

Where else would it be going?

A leak somewhere

I haven't looked but for it to drain back to the reservoir it would have to drain downward. If the hose in any way is routed up it would block it from completely draining back.

All you would need to do to test this theory is to park with the nose of the Explorer elevated and then check it the next morning and see how fast it supplies fluid to the rear window. If there is still fluid in the line which it should it should start to work as soon as pressure is supplied by the pump.

It took my washer fluid about 3 seconds to squirt onto the rear window today after not having used it for more than a month.

Peter

New rear washer question: do you guys get a good spray pattern or is it more of a stream down the rear window? My new 2018 Sport is really just a stream and not a spray evenly spread out. Just wanted to know if I should check with the service dept on this. Thanks!

Just a stream on mine which dribbles towards the wiper start position, so it kinda works OK. Mine also takes about 5 seconds to work of not used for some time.

New rear washer question: do you guys get a good spray pattern or is it more of a stream down the rear window? My new 2018 Sport is really just a stream and not a spray evenly spread out. Just wanted to know if I should check with the service dept on this. Thanks!

On my 2012 it doesn't really spray, it mostly just streams down the window, and when it hits the wiper it cleans exactly where the wiper is :). I don't think I've seen any good rear window washers to be honest, they all seem to work the same (just as bad)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stream

Back