Rear Windshield Wiper Motor

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
Given a choice between a Motorcraft or a remanufactured rear window wiper motor, which would you choose?

The reman is obviously cheaper, where the Motorcraft one is $120. In the picture, though, the Motorcraft has the mounting bracket like the manual shows, but the reman one doesn't. Can you remove that mounting bracket from the old one to use on the new one? Or is the reman one the wrong part? I haven't yet got the door apart to see what I'm up against.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya want my old one ?

It worked before I removed it...

There are two screws that hold the motor to the bracket. Break them loose before you remove the three bolts that hold the bracket to the door. It's no big deal to swap it.

You'll want to swap the wiring harness plastic clip to the new one too. (I forgot mine the last time around).

As for Motorcraft versus aftermarket, I went aftermarket. The remanufactured ones (by Cardone... usually a good name) I've been using are usually good for about 3 months. They have a lifetime warranty, but I think I'm on #7 or #8 in three years. Advance Auto also sells a brand new one, but it only has a 1-year warranty. Motorcraft's has a 1-year warranty IIRC, but I would think that if it's a new unit, it would likely last much longer.

-Joe

There are two screws that hold the motor to the bracket. Break them loose before you remove the three bolts that hold the bracket to the door. It's no big deal to swap it.

You'll want to swap the wiring harness plastic clip to the new one too. (I forgot mine the last time around).

As for Motorcraft versus aftermarket, I went aftermarket. The remanufactured ones (by Cardone... usually a good name) I've been using are usually good for about 3 months. They have a lifetime warranty, but I think I'm on #7 or #8 in three years. Advance Auto also sells a brand new one, but it only has a 1-year warranty. Motorcraft's has a 1-year warranty IIRC, but I would think that if it's a new unit, it would likely last much longer.

-Joe
Geez, 8 in 3 years... yeah the Cardone is the one I was looking at, probably going to have to pass on that one. The motor was replaced several years back when we had trouble with the rear wiper missing most of the window (which appears to be a common issue) under warrany. It ran from then until just now.

Also, any tips on removing the rear liftgate panel?

That's a snap too... Philips screwdriver is all you need for that. Open the rear window and remove the plastic cover next to the latch assembly. There will be one screw in there. Remove it. Then open the tailgate (leaving the window open). Remove the two screws from the pull handle, then pull down on the top edge and sides of the trim around the window. It's held in there with spring clips. IIRC, there are three across the top and two up the sides... You'll know when it's loose. Then, push the whole thing towards the roof and be careful it doesn't fall on your head.

Everything you'll need to get to should be right there. I've found it easiest to access standing outside it with the hatch closed and window open. Unplug it and check the wiring. If replacement is necessary, unplug it, break loose the two screws on the motor holding it to the bracket first, then remove the three screws that hold the bracket to the hatch.

Reverse for installation... Once you do it the first time, the second takes 15 minutes or less.

:)

Oh, and in their defense, two of those motors never left the parking lot (I replaced them in front of the store, and one was DOA, one made a godawful grinding noise), and two more never made it out of the store. Those two looked like they had been installed and returned (all greasy). IIRC, the first replacement lasted a month, the second lasted about 18 months, the third lasted 3 months, and the latest one has been in for about 4 months now.

-Joe

I would say buy the one with best warranty. I got mine at the local junk yard because they had the cheapest price and a 99 year warranty. The first one lasted 3 months and the second one has been in for 2 years.

Back