Rear Windshield Wiper Q's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Windshield Wiper Q's

my doesn't work peroid anymore. anyone know how to fix the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn it on, then go to the back and try wiggling it around where it enters the door. sometimes it just forgets where it is. Also, try slamming the rear glass. The sensor their may stick and the wiper will think the window is open and not work.

i'll try that. and where is the sensor for the window at?

I believe it is part of the lock mechanism, but not certain.

There is a cut-off switch at the rear window latch mechanism. If the rear window is open, the switch opens the circuit and therefore no power to the wiper motor. Slamming the window seems to work, although proceed with caution.
I had a seized motor on my 2000. I removed the motor and carefully disassembled it. The shaft was corroded in the housing. After carefully pushing it out I removed any corrosion and buffed the shaft with a scotch brite pad. Before reassembling I generously greased the shaft with all purpose grease. It now works again, although the switch still acts up once in a while. Good luck!

i'm gonna try that. cause now with the snow it dirties up to fast and caan't see for nothing.

yea...it's even worse when u try to spray some window fluid on it and u get little streak marks of where u can see lol I didn't realize it would get that dirty....

step by step rear wiper repair

Hi Guy's
Here's the remedy to make the rear wiper work!
1. Remove the wiper arm (make sure you disconnect the washer tube,use a hairdryer to het up the tube so you don't bresk the plastic nipple)
2.Once the arm is removed,turn the plastic housing until you match the notch to pull it out.
3.Once you have these out you will see that corrosion has form on the shaft,use a soft bristled wire brush to remove as much of the corrosion as posible.
4.Once you have removed the majority of the corrosion wrap a rag around the shaft and soak it with a good penetrating oil!
5.Make sure the rear glass is down and turn the switch on to make sure it is working.
6.After you free it up,load it up with a good moly grease,don't worry about how much since the plastic housing will act as an inducter when you put it back on,forcing the grease into the shaft.
7.Realign the plastic housing and replace the wiper arm,nozzle hose and away you go,good as new!
I hope I haven't forgotten anything but this should give you a pretty good indication of what's involved. It took me about 15 minutes and saved me from buying a motor when there was nothing wrong with mine!
GOOD LUCK ,Hopes this helps!
JON :D :D :D

Wiper Arm

Excuse the spelling,I'm not the best typist around!!!

Back