rear windshield wiper replacement help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear windshield wiper replacement help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a blade for the old-style post-type of wiper arm. Typically you buy a 16" blade and remove the adapter part and throw it away. There's usually a hole in the blade itself that snaps onto the post.

Any auto parts store will install the blade for you for free if you ask.

I don't even use mine. Plus I think it does not even work or work right.

Visit your local auto parts store. Some wipers that accept the side post, don't physically fit onto the wiper arm due to the limited space between the wiper arm's side post and the half circular piece right above it.

I tried a Champion (rebadged Anco Contour?) which fit, but after a while, it did not fully swipe the window. If the window was completely flat, it would have pry worked fine. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...on-wiper-blades-rebadged-anco-contour.400885/

Next, I bought a Trico 14-2, which didn't fit, but used it's insert in the OEM wiper blade... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-wiper-blade-refill-insert-trico-14-2.428411/. Works fine.

mine doesn't even work :angryfire:

Mine stopped working one day. I dug on here for ideas on how to fix it, and ran across a post that mentioned just slamming the hatch shut a few times, see if it works afterwards. I lucked out and it worked afterwards.

The OP has a '97. I'm not sure what the difference is between the '97 and later model Gen II's rear wiper, but our '97 is the only Ex we own on which the rear wiper actually works well without modification. Last time I replaced the blade I just bought one at AutoZone (not sure what brand it was) but it fit.

With modification to the wiper arm, and an expensive Bosch Couture blade, I've managed to get all the rear wipers on our 2000/2001 Ex's and Monty's to work pretty well.

I have an 01 sport and my rear wiper doesn’t touch the window when it moves. Is the wrong size blade on there or does it need to be bent towards the window to work. I don’t wanna break it cus it actually works just doesn’t hit the window. Thanks

I have an 01 sport and my rear wiper doesn’t touch the window when it moves. Is the wrong size blade on there or does it need to be bent towards the window to work. I don’t wanna break it cus it actually works just doesn’t hit the window. Thanks

I feel the best of all the suggested "fixes" for this is to cut about 1/8" off the arm stops on the wiper arm. This subject has been covered to death. Search the forum. Mounting the wiper motor to the rear hatch's weak sheet metal is the problem. Just a bad design.

Thanks I tried searching and this is the first thread I found

Thanks I’ll have to try cleaning it and see if it moves to actually touch the window.

Back