• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper blade trix

mrdakota

Reaction score
City, State
Northern IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
I have a rear wiper motor that works well still but I am having a little difficulty getting the top/furthest part to keep in contact with the glass.
Is there a trick to get more pressure contact out of the wiper arm?

By the way, were is my Elite status?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take off the arm and grind down the part of the arm that keeps it from springing further down. I did it a couple of years ago and it has worked fine since. Because of the time since I did it I cant be more specific on the fix. However a search will bring up a lot of info.

Yes, I fixed mine!

The problem is not the wiper blade but the wiper motor. The motor is attached via 3 screws and rubber washers to a flexible piece of sheet metal on the lift gate. The sheet metal flexes when the wiper arm is straight up. To fix, remove the rubber washers and use metal washers to angle the motor more towards the window when the arm is straight up. I believe you'll only need 1 or 2 washers. Can't remember the placement but it worked for me. Also, get a blade that is 1 inch smaller.

Great that's what this forum is for!

I never tried playing with the mounting bracket for my wiper.... the bracket is pretty rigid, and, at least for me, I would've had to monkey with it too much.

I ground down the two little fingers on the under-side of the arm. Pics are in the gallery in my signature. (I believe i't the 'Explorer Wiper Arm' gallery in the little pull-down)

-Joe

I just bend the arm toward the glass a little. Does the trick for me. There is an upgraded arm with a stronger spring available at the dealer if you have $ to spare.

The upgraded arm only works for about half the people here. I had the upgraded armn as well and it was still missing. It's not always a spring tension issue. About half the time, it's a travel issue.... i.e. the arm can't flex far enough to allow the wiper arm to maintain contact. No amount of spring pressure was going to help mine.

-Joe

Anybody ever have the wiper get stuck in the little indent right below where the glass starts. I got the upgraded arm a couple of years ago but it just started getting stuck about a month ago.

The upgraded arm did not work for me, neither did all the bending , etc either.

My cure was a brand new wiper motor.

05dink05 said:
Anybody ever have the wiper get stuck in the little indent right below where the glass starts. I got the upgraded arm a couple of years ago but it just started getting stuck about a month ago.

Mine was getting stuck under the glass until I bent the arm out a little bit.

Back