Rear wiper blade won't touch glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper blade won't touch glass

ImpactF0nt

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I had went to autozone to get new wipers for the front and rear. I had not had a rear one before. The front ones worked well, but the rear one was the wrong type. I traded it for the right one, it fits and swivels properly and everything, but the whole arm is like too far from the glass to touch except for a tiny patch at the very end of it. Is the arm bent? Help please...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted the below in another thread...

Once you get the motor to run, the next issue you will no doubt have is is that the wiper blade only contacts 60%-70% of the rear glass. This is because the motor is mounted in rubber grommets on the thin sheet metal of the lift-gate. This causes the force of the spring of the wiper arm to twist the motor in it's mounts. If you look at the rubber boot where the motor's stud sticks through the lift-gate, you'll see that it's pushed to the left, where it should stick out straight from the center. After a while the motor take a permanent set, then the geometry of the wiper arm to the glass is thrown off when the blade is on the passenger side. I've read about and tried several supposed fixes for this, but I find that the only one that worked pretty well for me was to cut the stops on the wiper arm (with my Dremel tool) to allow the arm to get closer to the glass. I also get better results by using an expensive Bosch Evolution rear blade, cheap blades tend to get stuck in the gap between the glass and lift-gate, once the arm tension on the left side is increased. I find that after cutting 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch off the wiper arm stops I get 90%-100% blade coverage on the rear glass. I've made this mod on 4 Expl's/Monty's with the same success rate.

Same issue on my 98 Explorer. Gonna try this fix. Thx

Had that problem with mine. Found the mounting plate broken and bent. Straightened it out and welded an additional piece of metal to it for reinforcement. Now to find the short between the switch and motor.

Back