• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper just quit on me ...

Gianni D

Reaction score
City, State
Quakertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT V6 (SOLD)
Like the title says ... my wiper completely stopped working a few weeks ago. I know this is an extremely common issue, but the weird thing is that if I turn on the wiper switch on the console the light for it goes on and off. Can it be something electrical too??

Thanks,
Gianni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a pair of relays that are mounted on the passenger's side frame rail under the air intake box that control the rear wiper/washer. One of them may have gone bad.

The light power doesn't do anything other than light the light... :)

If it is "cycling" though, as you indicated, it could be a bad connection on the switch which could cause your other problem (wiper not working). Of course, JD's response is also equally as likely.... but wouldn't address the "flickering" light.

I've also noticed on mine that if the rear hatch or window isn't latched completely the rear wiper won't work. Maybe there's a switch back there that could've gone bad, telling the wiper not to turn on. Or would this issue be covered by the relays that JDraper is talking about?

The first place I'd check would be at the motor plug itself. Unplug the connector at the motor and check for +/- 12V when the wiper is cycling. Odds are it's a bad motor, but a relay failure isn't uncommon.

-Joe

that happened to me, except one of the plastic gears in the motor housing stripped, but it was very quiet so i couldn't really hear it. if you put your ear to the liftgate near the wiper, you might hear the motor running. i had to buy a new motor, cost somewhere around $90.

Back