• Register Today It's free!

rear wiper motor ??

icom

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton,IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport "AKA-The $$ Pit
question on the rear wiper motor on my '99 2dr 4wd explorer. It has the common problem of not sweeping the entire glass,and the arm/blade stop (?)doesnt rest in the holder

Is the "shaft" of the wiper motor suppose to be loose where the arm connects? It moves around quite bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I have had an issue with my rear wiper since day 1. It would never get all the glass it sweeps over. I bent the arm to put more pressure on the blade and it worked ok, but now it has just stopped working all together. I just rain x my rear glass.

We had this problem years ago. I have no idea what they did to fix it, but it seems to be something about replacing the windshield wiper arm.

Oasis Special Service Message Number: 15406
Message Title: Backglass Wiper Skips Glass

Applicable Vehicles :
1998 - 2001 Truck : 00070 Mountaineer 00110 Explorer
2002 Truck : 00110 Explorer

Oasis Message :
Some 1998-2002 Explorer Sport And 1998-2001 Explorer/mountaineers May Exhibit
A Rear Wiper That Does Not Sufficiently Clean The Backglass. To Service,
First Inspect For The Letters 'ab' Stamped On The Wiper Arm Just Below The
Wiper Blade Pivot Pin. If The Letters Are Not Stamped On The Arm, Install New
Service Arm Part # Xl2z-17526-aa. Note: Ensure That The New Service Arm
Assembly Has The Letters 'ab' Stamped On It. Original Wipers With 'ab'
Stamped Near The Pivot Pin Were Revised To Apply More Pressure To The
Backglass.

Applicable Symptom Codes :
202000 Electrical Wiper/washer System

New arm is $44.00 and comes with a new motorcraft premium blade.

or
grind the two stop tabs on the underside of the arm to allow more travel towards the glass. Cycle the rear wiper once and allow to park. Then remove the arm and re-install with the arm stop bottomed in the park bracket. Wobble or wiggle of the wiper motor may be from deteriorated wiper motor isolators on the bracket.

Hope this helps,
Scucci

GREAT info scucci! That's exactly what I had to do on my 99. However, my new arm was about $33 and it didn't come with a blade. But it sure fixed the problem.

If it won't park correctly, the only repair is a new motor.

I already had the revised arm. I modified my wiper arm to allow the blade to flex more at the joint. That allows it to make contact over the full sweep of the glass with an 18" blade on it.

Pics are in my gallery linked in my sig. Use the pull-down for the 'Explorer Rear Wiper Mod'

it has the "ab" stamped on the arm.. I'll just grind the stops down.

but what about the motor shaft question; is it suppose to move around like that ?? I've never seen one that did,the shaft on my Blazer and on my wifes Voyager dont move a bit.

It may move a little bit... Pull the door panel off and see what's moving. It's always possible the bracket came loose, or one of the screws backed out... Won't know until you look.

FWIW, mine moves... the motor is mounted to a bracket. The bracket can flex a bit, and the bracket is mountes on rubber bushings... It can certainly move a bit.

ok,I'll do that this weekend.

its where the arm bolts on;if I grab the arm there,I can pull the shaft out and all around quite a bit in the rubber boot.The motor works fine,no noise or anything from it,I was just wondering about all that "play" in it

The other thing that may have happened (if this matters) was if the motor was rotated from the teeth on the housing inside the motor casing. I was pulling an arm for a member a while ago, and was trying to get it off and noticed that when I pulled it once it chattered inside the motor, I assume it moved from it's original position. Maybe like a moonroof out of sync with the switch? No idea, I'm just thinking out loud here... :)

The other thing that may have happened (if this matters) was if the motor was rotated from the teeth on the housing inside the motor casing. I was pulling an arm for a member a while ago, and was trying to get it off and noticed that when I pulled it once it chattered inside the motor, I assume it moved from it's original position. Maybe like a moonroof out of sync with the switch? No idea, I'm just thinking out loud here... :)

hhmmm...

it will not rest in the proper position either,it always stops just under the glass

Back