• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear wiper problem on a 1994

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
Well, I have a 1994 XLT 4 door, and the rear wiper won't work. I flip the switch and nothing happens. The washer part works, but not the wiper. I'd say its not the fuse since according to the manual, they use the same fuse. So any ideas? Help would be appreciated. If it is the motor, can it be fixed? How hard to replace? Cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

TSTONE

Giddy up!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland County, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
just for the heck of it, have you turned on the switch then gone out and yanked up on it, sounds silly but i know mine gets stuck every once in a while :hammer:
todd

spiper

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
When I bought my 91 the rear wiper didnt work either. I just turned on the switch and got out and gave it a little push and lo and behold it worked. I gave it a shot of WD40 and have had no prob since:D

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
They also had some probs w/ the plastic gearing they used on the rear wipers. Check int that or run a search on the subject! Hope that helps.

ajevenson

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
If you flip the switch and there is no noise it is probably an electrical problem. If you flip it and there is a groaning or clicking noise that means the plastic drive gear is stripped. I just replaced mine last weekend and a used wiper motor from a wrecker cost me $90 canadian so probably be $60 american.
The gear could easily be replaced however why would Ford sell a 20 cent part when they can sell you a new wiper motor for $200? The whole operation only takes 20 minutes to rip off and replace once the back gate interior is taken off. Good Luck!

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
Any idea on where besides a salvage yard to get a new motor? How much? How involved to replace yourself? How to get panel off the tailgate, etc.

kEVINS

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Before you replace the motor, check the window switch. There is a button switch inside the panel near where the latch mechanism is. If the switch is bad you can unplug it and the wiper will work. be careful though, so you don't run the wiper with the window open.

TunnelFear

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '94 XLT
i had this same problem last week...i just kinda wiggled the wiper a bit and it started working again...duno what was wrong, but its still working. hope that helps

mmsdrummer

Reaction score
City, State
PJ, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport & 1992 XLT
Dead Link Removed

I think this info may be helpful, haven't needed to do it myself though.

MattHarrell

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Valley, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Maybe this is related to the problem I had - the wiper ran sometimes even when switched off. I opened the back panel and cleaned and reseated all the connections. It's been working fine for the past year.