Rear wiper problem. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear wiper problem.

stacypeters26

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city, mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer XLT
I have a 98 ford Explorer XLT. I replaced rear wiper motor and rear wiper control switch. But rear wiper still does not work !!:exp:

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sean99

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0
Did you check your fuses or relays?

<

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
<

1998Explodasport

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Just like someone already said check your fuses and relays. The relays are under the hood in the power distribution box.

<

crunchie_frog

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

<

gadourym

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT V6
Try double checking the door switches in the glass. Mine stopped working for a while (a couple of months) and then started working again, still haven't figured out why!

<

<

pickupman6

Reaction score
City, State
jack al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv
yeah try the safety switch for the rear window like previosly mentioned it on the latch

<

marcx

Reaction score
City, State
satan rosa california santa rosa, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 2wd
Thank you guys, I was having the same problem. and it was the safety switch for the rear window. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

<

ericjames525

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I'm having this problem currently. Where is the safety switch? Was it something you were able to fix? Or did you replace it entirely?

thanks!

<

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4WD
Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

Hey Crunchie_frog,

I have the exact symptoms you wrote about. Do you care to share your fix?

<

REDREX

Reaction score
City, State
Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER XLS AWD
I recently replaced my rear motor due to it being stripped within, and now that the motor works I have another problem, my wiper does not contact the entire wipe section on the glass, it touches on the bottom and that's all, and when I bend the arm it causes another problem of getting stuck under the rear glass, and I lowered the glass closer to the latch and it still catches. Is the arm actually bent out of shape? The arm tension spring seems to lock and not let the wiper press on the glass like a design flaa...

<

rileybig

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
REDREX said:
I recently replaced my rear motor due to it being stripped within, and now that the motor works I have another problem, my wiper does not contact the entire wipe section on the glass, it touches on the bottom and that's all, and when I bend the arm it causes another problem of getting stuck under the rear glass, and I lowered the glass closer to the latch and it still catches. Is the arm actually bent out of shape? The arm tension spring seems to lock and not let the wiper press on the glass like a design flaa...

red....I have the same problem.... Waiting for someone to reply...... Seems like the motor is cock eyed and only touching the one part of the glass when it wipes...

<

dimension12

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
Spray the arm where it hinges with WD-40. It is very common for them to get sticky.
You will need to move it back and forth to work it in.

<

rileybig

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I put lubricant and worked it in. It worked! Thanks

<

CobraVertWV

Reaction score
City, State
Southern WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Ltd, '96 XLT 5.0
I had the same problem and unfortunately WD-40 didn't fix it. The blade just wasn't wiping with enough pressure. There is a TSB out for this. I replaced the arm per the TSB, and voila it works as it should. I also had another problem where the wiper motor would work intermittently - the factory dielectric grease inside the motor degrades over time - I disassembled the motor, wiped the grease off the board, reapplied new dielectric grease, and that cleared up the issue. It's nice having a rear wiper in the rain again.

<

rileybig

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
How do you get to the motor? I tried to remove the back panel of the lift gate but was afraid to snap off tabs? And where did you get a replacement wiper arm? Thanks in advance

<

CobraVertWV

Reaction score
City, State
Southern WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Ltd, '96 XLT 5.0
How do you get to the motor? I tried to remove the back panel of the lift gate but was afraid to snap off tabs? And where did you get a replacement wiper arm? Thanks in advance

You have to remove the back panel. I wasn't so gentle with it and did end up snapping off two tabs IIRC. I don't have any rattling issues now though, and it is still holding together. Call Tousley Ford and order a new arm part # XL2Z-17526-AA. Be sure to ask for the "Focal Jet" discount.

<

rileybig

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the wiper arm?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

<