Rear wiper's dead

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Recently ive been trying to get my rear wiper back into comission. It went sometime last fall, but worked great up until that point. I replaced the motor with one from a junkyard, didnt work.

Checked the points and I only get 12v constant to one wire, no matter what the switch is set to. I assume out of the 4 I should get intermittant 12v to some of the other points when its turned on. Where can I find the wiring or relays for this system? Ive looked around and the diagrams ive seen dont include it.

Rear wiper DEAD

Recently ive been trying to get my rear wiper back into comission. It went sometime last fall, but worked great up until that point. I replaced the motor with one from a junkyard, didnt work.

Checked the points and I only get 12v constant to one wire, no matter what the switch is set to. I assume out of the 4 I should get intermittant 12v to some of the other points when its turned on. Where can I find the wiring or relays for this system? Ive looked around and the diagrams ive seen dont include it.

I'm getting the same thing, on a 98 Explorer, and can't seem to find anything about it. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Lyn

liftgate-wiper2.gif

Basically what happens is, the GEM has 2 wires going to the motor that monitors its position. The GEM controls the movement of the motor via the relays in the underhood box. It alternates the polarity to move the wiper back and forth. One will always be opposite the other. The other two wires are just sensor wires.

If you are going to change the motor, get a new Motorcraft one. I and others here have tried reman motors and reproduction parts with little success. For me the reman part last 6 months; the new Dorman part is still going but not very well.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to bench test the unit yesterday, but didn't move. Dead unit. I'll look for a Ford unit today.

Thanks again for the help,

Lyn

Back