Rearview Camera Issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Issue

Our 2020 Explorer ST has done this blue screen intermittently. We have brought it to our dealer and they haven’t been able to replicate the problem.

View attachment 177571

Update our dealer replaced the rearview camera and it has solved this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same exact problem with the rear camera when putting it in reverse the blue screen would come up.

I pulled the explorer trim off the tailgate, blew the connector out with compressed air and greased up the camera plug with dielectric grease. Hasn't happened again since I did that. The plug they used for that camera is garbage just fyi.

The reverse brake assist not available happens any time one of the sensors it needs isn't working correctly.

I am going to take my ST into the dealer on Tuesday and this is one of the items they are going to address. I will show them your possible solution. Seems like quite a few are having intermittent issues with the rearview camera "blue screen". I am pushing for them to at least do this op you did Tbird and then document. Seems like this is something Ford should have suggested by now at least. Extremely disappointed in how Ford is addressing issues with the ST.

Tell them to look up SSM 49032 and get you a new camera.

I am going to take my ST into the dealer on Tuesday and this is one of the items they are going to address. I will show them your possible solution. Seems like quite a few are having intermittent issues with the rearview camera "blue screen". I am pushing for them to at least do this op you did Tbird and then document. Seems like this is something Ford should have suggested by now at least. Extremely disappointed in how Ford is addressing issues with the ST.
As per the post above, Ford issues a SSM 49032 to address the issue. It is listed in the Forum's thread List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM

Peter

That SSM (49032) is for vehicles without the 360 Deg camera system. All ST's are full 360 camera systems. I assume that means mine is not covered under that SSM then.
Good catch Tony. Ask them about it anyway since you seem to be experiencing the same issue. Regardless, the camera is faulty and should be replaced under warranty, SSM or no SSM.

Peter

Tony, mine is going to Mullinax tomorrow morning as well. One of the issues I am bringing it in for is blue screen cameras. Steve must think we're collaborating haha.

Tony, mine is going to Mullinax tomorrow morning as well. One of the issues I am bringing it in for is blue screen cameras. Steve must think we're collaborating haha.

I just picked mine up today, they had to order a new rearview camera. Apparently the SSM (49032) that references changing the camera on the NON 360 camera systems was expanded today to include the 360 camera systems. It will take at least a week to get in since everyone if needing it now. I think yours is on the list to replace for Steve as well as a couple others. They are also ordering to replace the right mirror assembly

I just picked mine up today, they had to order a new rearview camera. Apparently the SSM (49032) that references changing the camera on the NON 360 camera systems was expanded today to include the 360 camera systems. It will take at least a week to get in since everyone if needing it now. I think yours is on the list to replace for Steve as well as a couple others. They are also ordering to replace the right mirror assembly

I picked mine up today too. That's exactly right. Steve called me right after he called you. He commented that the new bulletin got released today. I am glad that some other things got done on mine while it was in. Steve mentioned the cameras have been in high demand because these problems are pretty common, so not the dealer's fault for not having the cameras in stock.

I like Steve, he's a straight shooter and doesn't BS me about the problems. He shares when other people have similar issues, and he tells it honest when they don't have a fix available for some of the concerns. I was a service writer at a dealership a long time ago. It's a tough position to be in, always having to tell the customer bad news.

DETROIT — Ford is recalling more than 700,000 vehicles in North America because the backup cameras can show distorted images or suddenly go dark.

The recall covers most 2020 versions of Ford's F-Series trucks, as well as the 2020 Explorer, Mustang, Transit, Expedition, Escape, Ranger and Edge. Also included are the Lincoln Nautilus and Corsair. F-Series trucks are the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.

I've been having a related issue with my Aviator. Intermittently, the rear parking aid camera will show a distorted image that flickers in and out. (No blue or black screens though.) (Also can happen with front cam while moving forward.) Had it in once and they "updated SYNC" and said that fixed it. It did not. Had it in a 2nd time yesterday and they replaced the camera. Time will tell!
/park

I've had none of the issues that are reported on the Explorer except for issues with the camera display, which the dealer has yet to resolve. I am very glad I made the Aviator decision. The styling, quality, features and dealer treatment are all great. So far so good. Good luck with your decision!
/park

Hey all, the rearview camera in my '20 ST started to get the blue screen as well. Happens randomly and like iTonyP stated you turn off the car, turn it back on and voila it comes back. Happened to me 3 times in the last 2 months, no common weather or events to link the occurrences. Time to phone the dealership.

(..)except for issues with the camera display, which the dealer has yet to resolve.(..)
Is your camera image sometimes flickering/cutting out? If so, I have the same issue..

Is your camera image sometimes flickering/cutting out? If so, I have the same issue..
It has morphed a bit. It was flickering/cutting out or otherwise coming up black. They eventually replaced the camera and, when it acts up now, it's more of an image distortion like an old TV signal that isn't quite strong enough to deliver a clean image. Then a few days ago it stopped working and is completely black. Car audio is also dead. It will go back to the shop in a few days. Have u had yours in yet?

It has morphed a bit. It was flickering/cutting out or otherwise coming up black. They eventually replaced the camera and, when it acts up now, it's more of an image distortion like an old TV signal that isn't quite strong enough to deliver a clean image. Then a few days ago it stopped working and is completely black. Car audio is also dead. It will go back to the shop in a few days. Have u had yours in yet?
Not yet. So far, the issue only pops up randomly and I doubt that they could even replicate the issue at the current rate it shows up. However, during my next service-visit, it will be on my 'to do'-list.

Time for a new camera perhaps:

SSM 49032 - 2020 Corsair/Explorer/Super Duty – Various Rear Parking Aid Camera Concerns – Built Through 27-May-2020

Some 2020 Corsair/Explorer/Super Duty vehicles built on or before 27-May-2020 and not equipped with a 360-camera system may exhibit various rear parking aid camera concerns such as poor image quality, flickering and/or completely inoperative. If a vehicle exhibits any of these conditions, replace the rear parking aid camera. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-13. For claiming, use causalpart 19G490 and any applicable labor operations in Section 11 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TF CX483N CORSAIR
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER
2020 TRUCK: FE P558N SUPER DUTY

Thank you sir!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found out through some engineering contacts this was part of a larger issue with Magna the giant part supplier to all three OEM's. The rear view camera (RVC) is built by them for Ford, GM, and FCA. Magna got a bad batch of camera circuit boards and that affected RVC's for all three manufacturers.

Back