Rearview Camera Problems | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't help out with who to contact but do you have pics of the splice work? I would be curious to see it. Obviously they put a new pigtail on thinking there may be a fault in the plug.

I believe that was their reasoning, however on trip #3 to said dealership they replaced the camera, and said they couldn't replace the connector at that time so I had to come back. The worst part of it all is that during that time where I had a new camera and original writing the camera worked without fault... In hind sight I should've just kept it, but at that time I trusted what they suggested so I went back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help out with who to contact but do you have pics of the splice work? I would be curious to see it. Obviously they put a new pigtail on thinking there may be a fault in the plug.

I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos...

I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos...
Easiest way is taking out a $20 Elite membership and you can post directly from your device. You just missed the 2 years for 1 special. The alternative is to find a 3rd party hosting site to link to and hope the don't change their policy like Photobucket did which deleted all its pictures on this site.

Peter

@Janob09 emailed me the pics and the pigtail repair job is def. not done properly.

Thanks Jason. Of all the cameras that were replaced I don't recall any of them needing to have wires cut.

Peter

Today my rear camera system stopped working on our 2015 limited explorer.. the screen flashes from black to a multi colored screen when the vehicle is in reverse. Very frustrated because I just got it back after the dealership Had to replace seals due to a carbon monoxide leak three days ago. Anyone else have a camera issue??

Today my rear camera system stopped working on our 2015 limited explorer.. the screen flashes from black to a multi colored screen when the vehicle is in reverse. Very frustrated because I just got it back after the dealership Had to replace seals due to a carbon monoxide leak three days ago. Anyone else have a camera issue??
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As to your question, "Anyone else have a camera issue?" You posted in an 18 page thread on camera issues.;)
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right, I found this post in this thread of another 2015; Rearview Camera Problems

Peter

As to your question, "Anyone else have a camera issue?" You posted in an 18 page thread on camera issues.;)

Peter
Thanks.. I’m new to this.. :( I should have said has anyone else had their back up camera flicker between black screen then multi colored nonsense on a 2015 explorer?

Was having issues with my 16 XLT a few weeks ago. Camera picture was basically "scrolling", which made it useless. After about a week it seemed to stabilize. Next morning I had a wrench light on my left display, stating "see manual". Took it to my local dealer, code told them camera needed replacing. After they installed the new camera, I now no longer have the guidelines and cannot use my trailer hitch zoom function. I have an appointment to get it fixed but the service rep seemed oblivious to what I was talking about. Basically just said "well bring it in for a look I guess. Hopefully the technician can fix it"

Was having issues with my 16 XLT a few weeks ago. Camera picture was basically "scrolling", which made it useless. After about a week it seemed to stabilize. Next morning I had a wrench light on my left display, stating "see manual". Took it to my local dealer, code told them camera needed replacing. After they installed the new camera, I now no longer have the guidelines and cannot use my trailer hitch zoom function. I have an appointment to get it fixed but the service rep seemed oblivious to what I was talking about. Basically just said "well bring it in for a look I guess. Hopefully the technician can fix it"
Guessing you have a SYNC2/MFT vehicle rather than the 4.2 inch screen.

The camera replacement doesn't require any special initiialization like it did in the 11-15. The service manual trouble shooting guide says an APIM reset should be done (which you can do). Give it a try and let us know.

Programming

NOTE: An APIM Reset consists of an APIM software cold boot and a SYNC® system Master Reset. It may not be necessary to perform a Master Reset after performing a cold boot if the concern is resolved.

1. Ignition OFF
  1. Remove any devices connected to the USB port(s), audio input jack/socket (if equipped), SD slot (if equipped), or RCA jacks (if equipped).
  1. Ignition ON.
  1. Cold boot the APIM software by simultaneously pressing and holding the radio power and seek up buttons for 8 seconds, and then releasing.
  1. NOTE: Performing a Master Reset returns all preference settings to the factory defaults, erases the phone book and call histories, and deletes any Bluetooth devices paired with the SYNC® system. For vehicles with navigation, the customer’s saved destinations (home, favorites, and previous) are erased.

Perform a Master Reset. If necessary, refer to “Master Reset” in the Owner's Literature.
  1. NOTE: If the concern remains after completing the APIM Reset procedure, advise the customer to power their device off and back on for a simple reboot. In some cases, if possible, the device's battery may also need to be removed and re-installed to complete a reboot. Delete SYNC® from the device’s Bluetooth menu prior to re-pairing the phone to the SYNC® system. If necessary, the customer can also perform a Master Clear, Master Reset, or Factory Data Reset on their device following the manufacturer's instructions in the device's owner's manual and/or website. Customer devices may affect the operation of SYNC® and this should be understood to prevent unnecessary diagnosis or repairs to the system.

2. If a concern is still present, return to the Symptom Charts.

Guessing you have a SYNC2/MFT vehicle rather than the 4.2 inch screen.

The camera replacement doesn't require any special initiialization like it did in the 11-15. The service manual trouble shooting guide says an APIM reset should be done (which you can do). Give it a try and let us know.

Programming

NOTE: An APIM Reset consists of an APIM software cold boot and a SYNC® system Master Reset. It may not be necessary to perform a Master Reset after performing a cold boot if the concern is resolved.

1. Ignition OFF
  1. Remove any devices connected to the USB port(s), audio input jack/socket (if equipped), SD slot (if equipped), or RCA jacks (if equipped).
  1. Ignition ON.
  1. Cold boot the APIM software by simultaneously pressing and holding the radio power and seek up buttons for 8 seconds, and then releasing.
  1. NOTE: Performing a Master Reset returns all preference settings to the factory defaults, erases the phone book and call histories, and deletes any Bluetooth devices paired with the SYNC® system. For vehicles with navigation, the customer’s saved destinations (home, favorites, and previous) are erased.

Perform a Master Reset. If necessary, refer to “Master Reset” in the Owner's Literature.
  1. NOTE: If the concern remains after completing the APIM Reset procedure, advise the customer to power their device off and back on for a simple reboot. In some cases, if possible, the device's battery may also need to be removed and re-installed to complete a reboot. Delete SYNC® from the device’s Bluetooth menu prior to re-pairing the phone to the SYNC® system. If necessary, the customer can also perform a Master Clear, Master Reset, or Factory Data Reset on their device following the manufacturer's instructions in the device's owner's manual and/or website. Customer devices may affect the operation of SYNC® and this should be understood to prevent unnecessary diagnosis or repairs to the system.

2. If a concern is still present, return to the Symptom Charts.
I do have the MFT/sync with nav. I've already got an appt with the dealership considering they just installed the camera...i feel like it should be them that takes care of it...plus I want an excuse to go get Starbucks this week!

I do have the MFT/sync with nav. I've already got an appt with the dealership considering they just installed the camera...i feel like it should be them that takes care of it...plus I want an excuse to go get Starbucks this week!
They didn't program your new camera to your vehicle. That has to be done when the camera is replaced. It has been discussed here several times. Don't let them charge you for it.

Peter

They didn't program your new camera to your vehicle. That has to be done when the camera is replaced. It has been discussed here several times. Don't let them charge you for it.

Peter

As I stated, not correct on the 16+. Only the 11-15s require that.

As I stated, not correct on the 16+. Only the 11-15s require that.
My apologies Jason. I skipped over the first part of your post and missed that notation.:oops:

Peter

@peterk9 @sheltonfilms Help!!

2012 Limited....seen the question but not the answer hear.

Our camera functions without guidelines but the image is reversed, yes reversed.

When backing in a spot, red car on drivers side and white car on passenger side the screen shows them reversed rendering the camera useless to try and use.

They want to replace the entire camera system. $$$$$$$$$

HELP!!!!!!

They'll need to replace the camera, but if they mention anything about"fixing" or replacing the harness or connector I would seriously advise against that... Ask to take a look if they say anything about the wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@peterk9 @sheltonfilms Help!!

2012 Limited....seen the question but not the answer hear.

Our camera functions without guidelines but the image is reversed, yes reversed.

When backing in a spot, red car on drivers side and white car on passenger side the screen shows them reversed rendering the camera useless to try and use.

They want to replace the entire camera system. $$$$$$$$$

HELP!!!!!!
Did this reversed image and missing guidelines issue just start? There are others that have had the same problem with the reversed image. As for the guidelines, have you confirmed that the setting is enabled? I had mine turn off for some reason on my previous MKT and I just turned it back on.

Peter

Back