Rearview Camera Problems | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great video and instructions! I just bought a 2011 Explorer Limited and the backup camera had no lines. Park assist/sonar was working. My Forscan had no “BdyCM – Rear Camera Calibration” option as showed in the video. and I had a BdyCM DTC error code saying:

Code: B115E – Camera Module

Additional Fault Symptom:

- Not Configured

-Previously Set DTC – Not Present at Time of Request

- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is off for this DTC

- Test not complete

Module: Body Control Module

I was able to fix the issue by running the Service Procedure “BdyCM – Local Internet Network New Module Calibration”.
My backup camera is now fully functional and I'm very happy my first Explorer :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great video and instructions! I just bought a 2011 Explorer Limited and the backup camera had no lines. Park assist/sonar was working. My Forscan had no “BdyCM – Rear Camera Calibration” option as showed in the video. and I had a BdyCM DTC error code saying:

Code: B115E – Camera Module
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Not Configured

-Previously Set DTC – Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is off for this DTC
- Test not complete
Module: Body Control Module

I was able to fix the issue by running the Service Procedure “BdyCM – Local Internet Network New Module Calibration”.
My backup camera is now fully functional and I'm very happy my first Explorer :chug:
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope you checked the camera settings in the display for the line options before you did the work.:)

Peter

Thanks Peter, yes, it was on but no lines. I bought this car from the local dealer and they weren't able to fix it :)

Thanks to this great Forum I was able to do it myself. I now have a couple of additional DTC codes to investigate :confused2:

Ford Explorer 2013 - Reverse camera not working

hi I am facing some technical issues with my Ford Explorer reverse camera. All these days it was working fine and suddenly it went off. Reverse camera is not functioning properly, it comes and goes off abnormallly and it shows a message reverse camera not working contact dealer.

Please help me to resolve this issue

Ford Explorer 2013 - Reverse camera not working

hi I am facing some technical issues with my Ford Explorer reverse camera. All these days it was working fine and suddenly it went off. Reverse camera is not functioning properly, it comes and goes off abnormallly and it shows a message reverse camera not working contact dealer.

Please help me to resolve this issue
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As many of the members with earlier Explorers have discovered, the camera needs to be replaced. Check back through this thread and you will find similar posts.
What year Explorer do you actually have? Your title says 2013 but your profile shows 2014. Also, please add the Required "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

My 2011 Explorer Limited backup camera has been on the fritz for about a year and it finally is not working at all.
I removed the camera to get the correct part number which is bb5t-19g490-ac. I have not been able to fine that part number, but I have found some replacements on ebay with the part number bb5t-19g490-AE. I am curious if anyone has tried this alternative part number on a non-OEM part with success.

My 2011 Explorer Limited backup camera has been on the fritz for about a year and it finally is not working at all.
I removed the camera to get the correct part number which is bb5t-19g490-ac. I have not been able to fine that part number, but I have found some replacements on ebay with the part number bb5t-19g490-AE. I am curious if anyone has tried this alternative part number on a non-OEM part with success.
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
Once you have installed it, the camera will still have to be programmed to your Explorer as mentioned in this thread.

Peter

Thanks for the response peterk9. The link did not have the part number shown in my first post. I am curious if the eBay cameras work just as well.

Thanks for the response peterk9. The link did not have the part number shown in my first post. I am curious if the eBay cameras work just as well.
It is not unusual to have part numbers change over time, especially on parts that have been in existence for a few years. Neither of the numbers you quoted in your post existed on that site. I'm thinking this is probably the one; Rear Camera - Ford (BB5Z-19G490-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As for the ones on eBay, I can't say for sure if they are the right ones but I'm guessing they likely are. I do know that another member who replaced his mentioned that the resolution was much, much better. The one I had in my 2014 MKT was like HD quality compared to the one I had in my 2011 Limited.

Peter

Just an update on my camera issue.... I called the dealer and confirmed the updated part number is BB5Z-19G490-A. The local ford dealer wanted $506.27, but have found them much cheaper online for the Ford part. I am still researching the cheap replacements on ebay and hoping to find a good review.

That price is for the camera only through the Parts department

I just replaced the back up camera on my 2013 Explorer Limited due to the camera not working some of the time and giving me the see your dealer message. I replaced the camera and pulled the #34 fuse and it still does the same thing. Any idea what's next?

Welcome to the Forum Bill.:wave:
Was the replacement camera programmed to your Explorer? That has to be done so that all required functions will work. If not, I don't know if that would cause the issue you are still having. Is this the camera you installed? AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter

When you replaced the camera did you have it programmed to the vehicle? That seems to be a requirement. I'm not sure if not doing that would cause a black screen.

Peter

Peter, The explorer is working after I replaced the camera last year. The 2013 Explorer did not require any programming to work when I replaced the camera. The black screen and camera not available message I mentioned previously was on my 2015 Mustang GT. It is still intermittent, but I'm about to finally replace the camera with the one I bought almost a year ago.

I also had to replace the wiper stalk on the 2013 Explorer earlier this year. The inverter in the back of the console has never worked. At 160,000 miles it's likely about to leave our household.

I had my 14’ Explorer at the dealer this week to reprogram or replace my back up camera and they are telling me they believe I have a wiring issue. They couldn’t reprogram my camera so they tried a known good camera and couldn’t get that one to work either. They told me I have power at the fuse box but no power to my camera. I do get the contact your dealer message display when shifting into reverse.

I have only read about 5 of the 20 pages on this issue but I did read peterk9 say more than once that he doesn’t recall anyone having an issue with the wiring.

Has anyone solved their camera issue without replacing it?

I had some time this weekend to look into my camera issue further and found that my camera wire prong in the wiring harness was smashed down and almost broke off under the headliner by the gate. The plug was also zip tied together because the catch to hold it was broken. This all must have happened last time I had it at Ford due to our 3rd brake light not working. They said it was a loose wire to resolve that but, now they have only caused me much greater problems.

I had some time this weekend to look into my camera issue further and found that my camera wire prong in the wiring harness was smashed down and almost broke off under the headliner by the gate. The plug was also zip tied together because the catch to hold it was broken. This all must have happened last time I had it at Ford due to our 3rd brake light not working. They said it was a loose wire to resolve that but, now they have only caused me much greater problems.
How long ago did that repair to the brake light take place? I'd go back to the dealer and tell them about this so called repair and see what they have to say. IT is obviously in a spot that this kind of damage is not considered normal.

Peter

Back up camera only works 50% of the time

The back up camera on my 2014 XLT only works 50% of the time. When its not working I get a pop up "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership." Do I need to replace the camera? Could it be a bad contact somewhere? There must be some sort of switch for it could that be the problem?

When it works, its works perfectly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect that because of the warning message that your camera is in the stages of having to be replaced. As far as a switch goes, no one has ever mentioned that part before.

Peter

Back