Rearview Camera Recall 21C09

greeman

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Just saw this this morning:

DETROIT — Ford is recalling more than 700,000 vehicles in North America because the backup cameras can show distorted images or suddenly go dark.

The recall covers most 2020 versions of Ford's F-Series trucks, as well as the 2020 Explorer, Mustang, Transit, Expedition, Escape, Ranger and Edge. Also included are the Lincoln Nautilus and Corsair. F-Series trucks are the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The company says in documents posted Wednesday by the U.S. government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a poor electrical connection is causing the problem.

Ford says it doesn’t know of any crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

Dealers will replace the rearview camera at no cost to owners. The recall is expected to start Nov. 7.

Peter

The company says in documents posted Wednesday by the U.S. government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a poor electrical connection is causing the problem.

Ford says it doesn’t know of any crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

Dealers will replace the rearview camera at no cost to owners. The recall is expected to start Nov. 7.

Peter
Anyone having problems with the rearview camera that their build date is just outside of the date range that the recall covers

Anyone having problems with the rearview camera that their build date is just outside of the date range that the recall covers

My ST was an early one and the dealer (Mullinax) ordered a new one for me prior to the recall. I had the new camera put in today and so far so good. Mine was very intermittent in that nothing obvious induced it or weather conditions. Just happened that I got blue screen once in a while.

My ST was an early one and the dealer (Mullinax) ordered a new one for me prior to the recall. I had the new camera put in today and so far so good. Mine was very intermittent in that nothing obvious induced it or weather conditions. Just happened that I got blue screen once in a while.

Mine did it for the first time the other day after 10 months of ownership at 10,000 miles. It was only blue for a few seconds. Hasn't done it again since Sunday.

my ex is a build date of feb 2020 and it has had some rear camera issues.

My grandmother got a brand new Aviator last November that was doing the same thing. After having three Navigators (a 2008, 2014, then a 2015) she never loved the smaller size and when the power folding third row broke too she had enough so at my recommendation she had Ford buy it back and she got a 2019 Navigator that has been perfect and she absolutely loves it

Mine as done it about a dozen times, no rhyme or reason when, I will wait for the recall which is suppose to be issued 11/1/20
TBill

It looks like the recall applies to Ford Explorer SUVs built between Nov. 16, 2019, and May 18, 2020.

Anyone get this done yet?

My build date is Sep 19 so we fell outside of the recall, we did have the same issue with the camera which got replaced a few weeks ago under a warranty claim.

So is this build date (Nov. 16, 2019, and May 18, 2020) confirmed? because I don't see it in the recall link.

I think i got the second letter today. I'll have to give the dealer a ring and schedule that.

So is this build date (Nov. 16, 2019, and May 18, 2020) confirmed? because I don't see it in the recall link.
My build date is 13 Nov 2019. My rear camera blues out at least once a week. I took it to dealership yesterday. The technician "cleared a bunch of codes" and couldn't find anything. Supposedly, the diagnosticians at Ford are "Investigating" this issue. I may press them if it keeps occurring to replace the camera on a warranty claim. Oh, I also get the "Reverse Brake Assist Unavailable" message when the camera goes blue. Other than this minor annoyance, this car is rock solid IMO.

No recall on the VIN but just happened for the first time at around 600 miles. Happened just after we tried to use the auto park. Might be a coincidence but the vehicle was trying to back into the spot (thought they only went forward?). If it happened 30 seconds earlier we would have I assume hit the other vehicle.

If it is similar to the Aviator, it will do all the necessary forward/backward manoeuvres to park itself. I don't think it would have hit the vehicle behind. I was backing into a spot the other day and was getting very close to the vehicle behind me when all of a sudden I felt a jar and thought I had hit it. Turned out that it was the self-braking that I felt.

Peter

I assumed it used the camera(s) in conjunction with other sensors. Good to know I am incorrect on this. Spoke with Ford this morning. There are no recalls and wont order the part until they can reproduce. Which is unfortunate with how infrequent this is. I will have them run their diagnostics when I can and drive there if its an option while its happening. I will let you all know the outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extremely long time lurker here! Previously had a 2016 Explorer XLT, upgraded to 2018 Explorer Sport and now just bought a 2020 Explorer Platinum in black! First wasn't a fan of it but slowly was changing my mind until I actually drove one, a completely new car!

Anyways, was waiting to see if the bugs were ironed out as well. Unfortunately, I got a bad camera? Currently, it shows a blue screen when backing up, i have seen a thread or two regarding this as well but was not a common thing. Also, the reverse brake assist goes out as well, sometimes both together, sometimes only by itself. Restarting the car fixes this which is weird. Not sure if its a coincidence, but I noticed these lil issues happened after the latest Sync software update.

Car has an August 2020 build date I believe, one of the final ones for 2020. Checked out the vin for any recalls and found none. The previous camera recall was for builds before April 2020, so a bit surprising. Currently going to Ford for this lil issue.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Other than this, this car drives like a dream and speeds up like a sports car. Huge upgrade over my older Sport.

Back