Rearview Camera Recall 21C09 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Recall 21C09

This is an easy fix. It is part of a recall, I believe they have to replace something. But it will be no cost!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extremely long time lurker here! Previously had a 2016 Explorer XLT, upgraded to 2018 Explorer Sport and now just bought a 2020 Explorer Platinum in black! First wasn't a fan of it but slowly was changing my mind until I actually drove one, a completely new car!

Anyways, was waiting to see if the bugs were ironed out as well. Unfortunately, I got a bad camera? Currently, it shows a blue screen when backing up, i have seen a thread or two regarding this as well but was not a common thing. Also, the reverse brake assist goes out as well, sometimes both together, sometimes only by itself. Restarting the car fixes this which is weird. Not sure if its a coincidence, but I noticed these lil issues happened after the latest Sync software update.

Car has an August 2020 build date I believe, one of the final ones for 2020. Checked out the vin for any recalls and found none. The previous camera recall was for builds before April 2020, so a bit surprising. Currently going to Ford for this lil issue.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Other than this, this car drives like a dream and speeds up like a sports car. Huge upgrade over my older Sport.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
For the time being, your thread was merged with this one. Please report back after your dealer visit to see if yours will be included in this recall.
Thank you.

Peter

Extremely long time lurker here! Previously had a 2016 Explorer XLT, upgraded to 2018 Explorer Sport and now just bought a 2020 Explorer Platinum in black! First wasn't a fan of it but slowly was changing my mind until I actually drove one, a completely new car!

Anyways, was waiting to see if the bugs were ironed out as well. Unfortunately, I got a bad camera? Currently, it shows a blue screen when backing up, i have seen a thread or two regarding this as well but was not a common thing. Also, the reverse brake assist goes out as well, sometimes both together, sometimes only by itself. Restarting the car fixes this which is weird. Not sure if its a coincidence, but I noticed these lil issues happened after the latest Sync software update.

Car has an August 2020 build date I believe, one of the final ones for 2020. Checked out the vin for any recalls and found none. The previous camera recall was for builds before April 2020, so a bit surprising. Currently going to Ford for this lil issue.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Other than this, this car drives like a dream and speeds up like a sports car. Huge upgrade over my older Sport.
I have an August 2020 build ST and started having the reverse brake assist inoperative warning and rearview camera "blue out" issues April 19 2021 with about 5000 miles on the clock. I got a Sync software update 4/10/2021. Don't know if there's a link between the two. For me, even after I turned reverse brake assist off, the rearview camera still intermittently "blues out". It usually starts working after the vehicle is turned off for a while.

One additional issue that I noticed was that if the rear camera "blue put" / reverse brake assist warning occurred, my liftgate sometimes will only raise halfway and stop; even thought I have set liftgate height.

I'm waiting for my dealer to have a loaner available to take the ST in to be checked.

I have an August 2020 build ST and started having the reverse brake assist inoperative warning and rearview camera "blue out" issues April 19 2021 with about 5000 miles on the clock. I got a Sync software update 4/10/2021. Don't know if there's a link between the two. For me, even after I turned reverse brake assist off, the rearview camera still intermittently "blues out". It usually starts working after the vehicle is turned off for a while.

One additional issue that I noticed was that if the rear camera "blue put" / reverse brake assist warning occurred, my liftgate sometimes will only raise halfway and stop; even thought I have set liftgate height.

I'm waiting for my dealer to have a loaner available to take the ST in to be checked.
Same here, had my appt postponed as im waiting for a loaner as well. Im betting it to be on the new update we received, I mean as soon as the final update was installed, this happened right after. Hard to believe it's just a coincidence at this point. I dont have the liftgate issue, then again, mine doesnt have a set height.

I received a recall notice on LincolnWay for my 2020 Aviator Lincoln recall 21C09. It is for updating image processing module B It covers the blue screen backup camera issue. I haven’t experienced this so far but will get the update when notified. Build date of August 19.

I don't use the App so I'll see if I get a letter about it. No issue either with it.

Peter

I don't use the App so I'll see if I get a letter about it. No issue either with it.

Peter
My first notification was via CarFax. I’m registered with the site so I received the recall notice along with service reminders.

My first notification was via CarFax. I’m registered with the site so I received the recall notice along with service reminders.
I download an app called Safer Car from the NHTSB. Not sure how good it as there have been no recalls on mine since I got it.

Received another Sync update last Thursday. Went on a 300+ mile trip and.... did not have one single issue with the blue camera screen or reverse assist off notification.

Everything has been very smooth. Really starting to think its a Sync issue not hardware.

Received another Sync update last Thursday. Went on a 300+ mile trip and.... did not have one single issue with the blue camera screen or reverse assist off notification.

Everything has been very smooth. Really starting to think its a Sync issue not hardware.
Just curious as to what version/build you are on now?

Peter

Just curious as to what version/build you are on now?

Peter
Im on the latest 21020 build. However, this was 4th? OTA update on that build I believe. I tried doing the updates over USB a while back but was having issues installing it so did them OTA.

I thought it did them all since it would say it was on the latest software version whenever I checked manually. I guess it was missing one more?

Im on the latest 21020 build. However, this was 4th? OTA update on that build I believe. I tried doing the updates over USB a while back but was having issues installing it so did them OTA.

I thought it did them all since it would say it was on the latest software version whenever I checked manually. I guess it was missing one more?
If you keep receiving updates, it is probably the map updates to NA 2.20 you are getting. I lost track of the number but it seemed there were at least 6 or so of them and they take a while to complete. Mine finally stopped after about 10 days. Others had them download in far less time.
Check your map version and have a look at the last few pages of the following thread.

Peter

If you keep receiving updates, it is probably the map updates to NA 2.20 you are getting. I lost track of the number but it seemed there were at least 6 or so of them and they take a while to complete. Mine finally stopped after about 10 days. Others had them download in far less time.
Check your map version and have a look at the last few pages of the following thread.

Peter
I wouldve thought that but the map was updated to 2.20 before this one which im guessing is the latest one? I thought I had taken a pic of the update before this last one to show my service dealer but I guess I didnt. Honestly, I dont know what it updated to, I just know it received another update last week and the reversing bugs are gone.

Oh boy here it goes. I dropped my 2020 off this AM for its second visit for the blue screen and brake assist warning. Last week they flashed the system, it did not help. While there, another customer dropped off their 2020 for the third time as the dealer had it for 3 weeks the last time. Their problems are far worse then mine, as of now. Has anyone heard of a major issue with the control systems hardware or software?

Did they replace the camera as per the recall the first time?

Peter

I am now worried as they need to keep it a few more days. I spoke with another 2020 owner and they have just about everything failing. After this I now remember other random issue I had:

1. Back up assist
  2. Rear camera blue screen
  3. Mapping locking up
  4. Rear lift gate suddenly stops

Anyone having problems with the rearview camera that their build date is just outside of the date range that the recall covers
Yes, my camera went intermittent last week and the dealer replaced it no problem as a warranty issue. I learned to hold Power and Volume Down at the same to to force a hard reset of the Sync system to get GPS back.

Yes, my camera went intermittent last week and the dealer replaced it no problem as a warranty issue. I learned to hold Power and Volume Down at the same to to force a hard reset of the Sync system to get GPS back.
Pretty sure that is considered a soft reset. To do a hard reset you need to go into the SYNC setting and press the reset button. Not saying that your method didn't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am now worried as they need to keep it a few more days. I spoke with another 2020 owner and they have just about everything failing. After this I now remember other random issue I had:

1. Back up assist
  2. Rear camera blue screen
  3. Mapping locking up
  4. Rear lift gate suddenly stops
Well they had the vehicle for several days and yesterday replaced the rear camera and reinitialized system. Worked OK last night, will watch to see if it reappears.

Back