• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rearview Mirror Questions (Interior)

Coronach

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
So, I have an XLT with the manual mirror. Two of the items that I miss from the Limited package are the Homelink and the automatic mirror. Neither one was a deal breaker, obviously, but it occurred to me today that I can replace the stock mirror with a Gentex mirror that is auto and has Homelink built in. While researching that, I came across the Ford OEM mirror, and it is listed for, like $600. What the heck? Then I noticed that it has a video feed, and I became even more confused, seeing as how there is a touchscreen for the rearview camera.

In any event, here are my questions:

1. If I have the base mirror, will there be a wiring harness under the cover on the windshield for me to plug a powered mirror into?

2. Assuming there is not, would I need access to switched and constant power, or just switched?

3. What video does the OEM powered mirror show? A repeat of the touchscreen reverse camera, or something else? I know that some (all?) of the Limiteds have 360* cameras, is the touch screen showing that and the rearview mirror just showing the backup camera?

4. I do have a travel trailer that is prewired for a back-up camera. Would it be possible to set up a OEM Ford or Gentex mirror with video to display the video from the backup camera?

Thanks,

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hey Mike. When you say "auto" I'm guessing you are talking about the auto-dimming one. FYI the Homelink on the visor has constant power running to it. There are mirrors that have the rearview located in part of the mirror but I don't believe those vehicles have the rearview camera.
Although AutoNation shows a rear view mirror with a camera, there is no mention of it in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Last edited:

Coronach

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
To the best of my knowledge, they display the same as the OEM rearview mirror. I have seen them in vehicles that don't have the rearview camera.
I can only guess they are shown as available if you'd prefer to have the same view in the mirror and replace the OEM one. :dunno: The screen is quite a bit smaller so not as efficient as having it on the Sync 3 screen. As far as I know, the OEM powered mirrors do not have this feature. My Aviator does not.

Peter

Carbon87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
1. If I have the base mirror, will there be a wiring harness under the cover on the windshield for me to plug a powered mirror into?
Take a look at my pictures here:

There is no harness or pigtail for the mirror under there in my 2020 XLT.