Rearview mirror replacement

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
My rear view mirror is all messed up. I have a replacement. However how do I get the stock mirror off? The new one has a screw to tighten it against the button. I don't see a screw on the stock mirror. I don't want to yank on it hard & then have the button come off & then I will need to re-glue it on.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to poke a small flat blade screwdriver from the front and release a clip.

^ Roadrunner is elite! ^

:thumbsup:

I just replaced mine with a late model Nissan Mirror. I need to wire up the UGO and Compass. My original mirror glass was discolored.

There's an obvious square hole on the bracket that attaches to the wildshield mount, you may have to shine a flashlight in there to see how the tab sits to stick the screwdriver in there and pry on it a little to remove the mirror.

Chances are if the glass adhesive is original, it might be time to change it anyway. Mine fell off last year, just from the stock adhesive having turned to goo after all the years of hot summers and cold winters.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to pry gently and check if it's secure. Re-glueing it is pretty simple if you mark the location of the old one with a sharpie marker before detaching it. Any good rear view mirror adhesive will work fine. I used the cheap stuff at walmart instead of the $12.99 "extreme" stuff at the parts store, and it is ON there.

If the button falls off then I'll replace it. PITA, but I got the old mirror off & the new one on.

Thanks

Back