• Register Today It's free!

Reasonableness of engine fix

ahuggins6

Reaction score
City, State
New Boston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer 4.0 auto
First off, yes, i'm new to this forum. I'm an Early bronco guy looking for tips and hints and issues with the 5.0s, because i want to swap one into my EB.

I spotted an expy sitting behind a house in town, and thought I'd stop to see if it had what I needed. Well, as my luck would have it, it's the death rattling sohc. The Ford shop foreman in town told the owner not to drive it, and quoted her something around 2000 bux to fix it. She could not afford it, so she went and financed a new jeep...:rolleyes::crazy:

I opened my big mouth and told her I might give her something for it, but i'd need to see what I could use off it for my project. I first came to this forum to see what was needed to fix the rattle, in hopes that I might profit from a little simple work. The foreman told me that it needs new cassettes. Well the parts aren't that expensive from what I've seen, but I'm not sure the truck is in good enough condition to sink a lot of money into. I would also have to find someone with the tools to loan me.

I have an OHV from a '91 that my dad replaced in my moms expy years ago.. If it's still usable (i.e. not stuck) does it bolt directly in place of the SOHC? And would the computer and harness work with it? Or do I need to just offer to get it out of her yard and part it out/junkyard it? I've thought about getting it simply for brake parts to do a homemade disc brake conversion on the EB.

ORRRR....BTW it's 4wd. Anyone interested in the thing? I'm in Northeast Texas.

I went ahead with it..

After spending the summer blowing money on other stuff, i finally put some aside and bought this truck from the woman. I've pretty much decided to pull the motor, fix it, and redo the front seats so I can have a somewhat cheap daily driver.

UNLESS someone else wants it. I'm not THAT attached to the project. i've bought another one with a 5.0 for the bronco, that I could fix a few things and drive that one.

PM me if interested. 1997 4.0L sohc four door, 218K.

Back