Reasons for wobble?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I can't figure it out my tires seem to be inflated properly and I have checked the sway bar thinking the bushings were bad because I read on here that the sway bar bushings go bad but I grabbed ahold of it and its stiff it don't move 1CM, Its like when you start going around 45+ the truck seems to wobble kind of try to veer in both directions (I know sounds dumb but thats how it feels). This all happened after replacing my rear shackles the driver side we took the leaf completely off to get the bushing out and then put a new bushing in it and then afterwards my steering wheel is crooked when the front wheels are straight, I have a feeling all this is connected but not entirely sure so I'm seeing if anyone has experienced this before so I know a point of where to start looking on the explorer. I'll note its a 1995 Explorer XLT 4X4 (just incase anyone questions, this has been experienced in 4auto and 2wd) with stock drive train. Thanks if anyone can help me with this, its disturbing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get the alignment checked and see if maybe you have out of balance tires...

I don't know how the alignment would be off though, I haven't done a thing to the front end at all and drove great before the shackles were replaced, I hadn't thought of the tires either since they were fine before, could we have not aligned the rear up right when bolting it back to the leaf spring that could cause something like this?

I don't know how the alignment would be off though, I haven't done a thing to the front end at all and drove great before the shackles were replaced, I hadn't thought of the tires either since they were fine before, could we have not aligned the rear up right when bolting it back to the leaf spring that could cause something like this?

The alignment would be off because your ball joints are bad ;) they are allowing things to move around in the front more then they should

Ok, well guess I'll have to call a garage about them because I've never done ball joints before and heard they're hard to do without the right tools. Thanks for the answers.

Ok, well guess I'll have to call a garage about them because I've never done ball joints before and heard they're hard to do without the right tools. Thanks for the answers.

the hardest part is getting them in and out. they sell these nifty tools now called ball joint poppers, and they might even rent them

Ok, well don't think its ball joints, looked into the rear end hoisted the body up and took the tire off and it turned out that the rear wasn't inline with the pin in the leaf spring pack, since correcting it there are no issues with the steering being off or wobbling around 50 or more. Thanks for the help though.

Back