Reasons not to stay stock and use line out converters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reasons not to stay stock and use line out converters?

Snake2715

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie
Ok,

I have a ton of stuff around my house to build a system in our new Xplorer. I am curious to hear peoples opinions on staying with the stock deck (mach stereo, 98 eddie baurer with cd/tape and cd changer)

and just running line out converters on it to give signal to the amps I will install?

Is there a non fading sub output on the back of the stock deck that I could convert to RCA's?

Secondly am i going to lose any performance by not getting a aftermarket deck?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no "plug in" outs on the stock HU.

You'll get much better sound swapping HUs, especially if you're changing the 4 corner speakers, and a sub would be cleaner with an aftermarket HU.

But yes, you can line out from the stock speaker wires to amps. Though since this is post-amp on your 98 (built in amp in HU), you may get distortion.

I had the non-mach system and went with a 4ch LOC like you said, 1 4ch amp to 4 new speakers and 1 bridged 2 ch amp to the hidden MTX sub. I used a good LOC from peripheral (not pyramid or Ripshack), good RCA patch cords and ran the signal back through all stock wireing. Ran 4 ga from battery to dist block and split to 2 8ga to the amps. Contrary to many opinions my system was very good sounding and much better than stock. No noise, no wine, no dimming, no issue with stock wiring. Compared to stock I recommend it highly plus you get to use rear seat controls and have a bit of theft prevention with less flash.

But the main reason I went to a new HU is that the stock HU (non-mach) rolled off the base at high volumes to make up the low power it originally put out to the speakers. I was constantly increasing base at high volumes and lowering it when I turned it down. And I never used rear seat controls anyway.

Plus, as everyone says, a new HU is generally better than stock one. You get all the bells & whistles (for me the steering wheel remote is wonderful), even cleaner sound, RCA outputs, etc. Its all up to your ears and wallet. But certainly its not gauranteed that adding LOC will make things sound worse than what you have now.

You can always try it in stages. Get some efficient speakers first (mine were infinity). Components up front are best. If you want more then add amps. if you want more replace HU. You would be out the cost of the LOC if you went all the way.

-i still have wiring harneses & LOC if interested

It WILL sound like crap, I had mine like that for 4 hours literally when I had my explorer. I heard it and when it sounded so horrible I went and get a new CD player and it was like night and day, the difference was amazing.

Well I suppose mine could have sounded like crap and I didnt know it. Its all in the ear, but I'm willing to bet you had some other issues. Your 97 has external amp and requires other considerations. If you tapped into the spk wires before the amp you got very low voltage with more chance of noise. What LOC did you use? Were you able to balance the gains on LOC and amp and HU optimally? But without a doubt using an aftermarket system cuts down on the number of potential problems. I just never had them. Guess I'm lucky and/or deaf. I'm not a competition guy, just a clear loud sound at 60mph with windows down guy.

Thanks guys,

I guess my biggest decision isnt the $$ for the HU but the looks of it in the dash. I like to fill the slot completely but if I must I should probably go out and buy a new head unit.

I did kind of want to keep the rear sound option open and the steering wheel volume but again I guess I can live without that stuff and have a smaller than normal deck in the dash....

Or you could do a trick double din install like some members have done. A black deck and it will look very nice.

I was thinking 1 double Din deck but wimped out. Also with an SWI-X adapter from PAC ($70) at Crutchfield.com you can still use rear controls or steering wheel controls. I have never seen it done and have not heard anyone that done it for an explorer. Be the first!

did a search and found this. thanks alot, now theres one more thing i want to buy for my system! just put a bid in on one on ebay ;)

Back