How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Ok... Ive R&R this dang thing twice!!!

First time it wouldn't come out of 4 hi after i replaced the missing bump stop 'found all the little fragments" but it wouldnt go into 4 lo??

Pulled it again now it wont go into 4x4??

I had to pull the brown wire and the magnetic sensor blue and green wires from the housing? "male/female"

what is the purpose of the magnetic sensor ??

I could have the wires crossed? "blue and green" I've checked the computer both times.. The first time while i'd engage the 4 hi button i would receive a fast blinking from the LED and i could here the computer clicking rapidly... BUT it was still in 4 hi..

The second go around I have no LED and can hear the usual slow click from the computer? and it will not go into 4x4

I also disengaged the battery cable trying to reset the computer..

Thanks... Dustin

92 auto...

I just tested the 4x4 module no blinking lights! nothing... I think i've had multiple failures... : (

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK i decided to try and tackle this yesterday. I had a hard time getting the Brown wire out while under the truck because i didn't jack it up or anything so i didn't have much room to move. However after i cut the wire and got everything out i was able to remove the wire...
JUST A TIP--when using a paperclip or other to try and pull the red retaining ring the only lip on the ring you can pull out on is at the flat spot..
Aside from this all went well!!!! the bushing wasn't in peices but it was broken i used a piece of Rubber hose to replace and all is back together..

4x4 is WORKING GREAT!!!!! i purchased this truck for $400 because it needed a clutch and the 4x4 didn't work. The owner was quoted over $1000 to have all repaired i did the clutch with no problems.. Now thanks to yall the 4x4 is working.. Next up is door hinges, and replacing the seal between the front differential gotta try and find a thread on that one.

two questions.

1. when i plugged the motor in and tested it, it was in 4h but wouldn't go back to 2h.. so for the hell of it i tried putting it into 4l and it went, then it came out of 4l, and then went back to 2h??? all is fine now but just curious if my thinking is correct that it just had to reposition itself before it could go all the way back to 2h.. but why couldn't it reposition itself by going to 2h instead of 4l.. JUST CURIOUS, its working fine now so its just a curiosity thing.

2. what did everyone use to replace the gaskets?? mine came apart in pieces and i just used silicone to seal it?? this ok??

SORRY ITS SO LONG!!!!!

AND THANKS A TON TO EVERYONE FOR THIS THREAD!!!!

Hi all Greetings from Spain

Well today I tried to fix my X 4x4 and following the steps this post has been very easy and now I work in high and low ...

Thank you very much for the contribution

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sooo i am pretty sure my bump stop is my culprit... but can you take the cover plate off and the gear to replace that bump stop without tearing into the rest of the shift motor?

Once you remove the cover you can "Try" to remove the geared sensor.. There is nothing holding it in place other than the tension from the worm gear and selector shaft. Other people have tried to remove the geared sensor and commented that it was too difficult/tight for them to remove he the selector shaft with the case still bolted to the T-case.

Hi all

Like many people ask what kind of rubber used to change the broken rubber I thought about putting that I used to give some idea .....

And this is how it looks now

great information

Thanks to this thread I now have 4WD working again on my girlfriends Explorer and my Bronco!:biggthump

Getting ready to try this ....but I have a question

What is the big rubber wheel thingee for ??...its on the outside and to the left of the motor ??

Did I read its a dampener of some sorts ???? how does it work ??

Thanks
Dwight

What is the big rubber wheel thingee for ??...its on the outside and to the left of the motor ??

Did I read its a dampener of some sorts ???? how does it work ??

Thanks
Dwight

Its Metal and weighs like 10lbs or so.. its weight helps minimize vibrations in the drive train..

Removal

Does it just unbolt or is there anything special to look out for on this item ??

Thanks
Dwight

Does it just unbolt or is there anything special to look out for on this item ??

Thanks
Dwight

Nothing special at all, just held in by 4 bolts.

It is heavier than H***! Don't drop it on yourself. It is a vibration damper and weighs about 10 - 15 Lbs.

A couple of quick questions. I have a 2002 XLT with the Auto/4Hi/4Low push button switch on the dash.

When the vehicle is first started the 4 Hi and Low lights on the instrument cluster blink several times. Does this indicate anything? Like maybe not knowing what position the motor is in?

The auto seems to work normally. 4 Hi is questionable and intermittent, and low seems to work. I hear the control module clicking and hear and feel the transfer case operate most of the time. Could this be caused by the Auto position being in the middle? (I am assuming it take the place of the 2HI position in the pics on page 1). If so, does this mean that the opposite side of the "stop" that is not indented is what seems to allow 4Low to work?

From what I am able to see my configuration looks close to the same. Can anyone with 02 experience tell me if this rebuild procedure is the same?

Lastly, to the original poster, awesome description!!!! The photos and writeup are top notch. I can't imagine the amount of money you have saved people. Thank You!!

I cant speak to the blinking light issue but i have a 92 and i can tell you that the write up and pics above are accurate for a 92. I tore mine apart and found the plastic bushing broken exactly as described above.

Quick question
I see that the majority of responses in this thread are from 94 and older owners.

My X is a 97. Are there any changes to the shift motor that I should be aware of before tearing into this? Are the pictures in the first post relevant to my model year too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 systems are different for 1st vs 2nd generation Explorers, but the shift motors also share many similarities.

Back