Rebuild OEM seats, junk yard seats, or new seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuild OEM seats, junk yard seats, or new seats?

Cheif_Russ

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer SportXLT
I have come to a point where it is time to rebuild the seats or swap them out. Both my front seats have seen better days. I have an 04 xlt with manual seat. Both seats the reclining parts have either broken or the handle broke off. Plus both cushions are shot when someone goes to get out they have slide across the plastic side piece of the seat. My girl has been complaining about it so I think it is time. If I remember right the rails are a bit angled, I maybe wrong. What kind of seats swap into these trucks with little to no fabrication? Has anyone taken the seats apart and replaced the foam and mechanical parts? I am thinking three routes. Not to sure which route to go. Just weighing my options. I am located in CA Bay Area if someone has something for sale in regards to the seats.

30288A8D-75F6-4761-ACF4-2EFC8690DE39.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have come to a point where it is time to rebuild the seats or swap them out. Both my front seats have seen better days. I have an 04 xlt with manual seat. Both seats the reclining parts have either broken or the handle broke off. Plus both cushions are shot when someone goes to get out they have slide across the plastic side piece of the seat. My girl has been complaining about it so I think it is time. If I remember right the rails are a bit angled, I maybe wrong. What kind of seats swap into these trucks with little to no fabrication? Has anyone taken the seats apart and replaced the foam and mechanical parts? I am thinking three routes. Not to sure which route to go. Just weighing my options. I am located in CA Bay Area if someone has something for sale in regards to the seats.

View attachment 433227
redoing the seats is an option but $$$
swapping a low mile (so hopefully low use) JY in is probably a good bet imo considering the price difference and the fact that it may be hard to find seat parts nowadays.
not aure of any aftermarker seats that work maybe ranger or 2nd gen explorer ones do not sure

'01-03 Sport seats are identical to ST seats. 2nd Gen Explorer seats are direct bolt-ins, but the fabrics, colors, and seatbacks are different. I think 1st Gen seats are also bolt-ins. Most any Ford buckets of the era will bolt onto the tracks.

If it helps at all the seat cushions are the same on both sides on a sport Trac, possibly the same as a sport. Passenger side cushions usually have less wear and tear

I swapped passenger side cushions from the jy to the driver's seat in my '94 Explorer several times. Finally realized the springs under the cushions were shot or had come off and fixed them a few months before the Explorer died.
The driver's seats in both my Sport Tracs are from '97 or 98 Explorers, and have the mechanical lumbar adjustment. With seat covers on them, you'd have to look close to realize the shape doesn't match the passenger seat.
1st Gen Explorer and Aerostar seats can be swapped side to side if you're willing to swap the tracks, hinges and other hardware. Probably not worth the effort in most cases. The steel frames under the upholstery and cushions are identical and have all the holes necessary to use on either side. The upholstery can be swapped side to side as well. You just have to a poke hole or 2 for the hardware. I did it once, but don't remember why. I assume 2nd Gen and STs are like that too.

You can even add Aerostar arm rests to 1st Gen Explorer seats. I bolted an Explorer seat to an office chair base using plywood between them, and looked into using Aerostar arm rests on it. The holes are there. I never finished the chair because I didn't get the bottom of the seat to sit at the angle I wanted.

Back