Rebuild or get a new one???

usafape

Reaction score
City, State
Naugatuck,CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 and '93 XLT
Hi all,

A few months back the tranny on my '93 X died. It wasn't going anywhere. This weekend I droped the oil pan and found out a LOT of metal shaving in it. There is still more investigation to be done on it. I will have to pull it off my X and open it. I was suspecting the torque converter, but after what I found out today, it may have been the oil pump instead.
My question is, should I spend more time in it and rebuild it? She is gonna go to some tough places after I have her fixed. I was thinking about doing an overhaul with a heavy duty rebuild kit from transmission exchange.
Or should I get an already rebuild transmission?

What do you guys think?

Tks,

Fabio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the skill, you can (In my opinion) build a better A4LD than you can buy rebuilt. If you have not alredy done so, you might want to set aside the time to read the A4LD Rebuild Diary above, and maybe then "Project Frankentranny".

There are few builders out there that really understand the needs of the A4LD - and as a result don't build them they way they should, and have problems later. Most trans shops hate A4LD's but don't realize that the high comeback rate is their fault. It needs more TLC and hard parts during a rebuild than the normal tranny - and they treat it like a normal tranny.

Can you DIY, yes... absolutely. But if you are a "just learned to change my oil" last week kinda guy this is not for you. You should be a pretty well seasoned home auto mechanic before you engage in a DIY full tranny rebuild.

Thanks Glacier,

I've read those threads and that encouraged me to do it myself. I have actualy nothing to loose. After my truck died, nobody wanted it, not even for free, so I think it makes sense to fix it myself so I can learn a little about it. My concerns are the things I don't know I don't know. Specially measurements and tolerances. Also, I know I will need some special tools which I will have to get it.

I also bought the ATSG rebuild manual for this tranny. I think it will also help.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Fabio

Here is a thread in my signature that you should find useful to get aquainted with the valve body of an A4LD: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126461. It's not as detailed as Glacier's diary, but it should give you a basic idea of the inner working of the valve body which is the "brain" of the transmission. The newer valve bodies are much more computer controlled. The A4LD only has 2 solenoids in the 88-94 models, and one in previous years.

PS do not buy that HD kit... PM me and you can save some big bux.

Back