Rebuild or Replace 4405? NEED 4x4 :P | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuild or Replace 4405? NEED 4x4 :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equnoxe

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exploder EB Edition
so after FINALLY finding out that the tcase is pooched.. i need to decide if i should rebuild it or just replace it.

symptoms so far.

doesn't click with front drive shaft out...
severe clicking with front drive shaft in

after taking shift motor off + front shaft in, and turning to desired spot by hand;

when in 4hi , front and rear shafts spin separately by hand(i.e. spin front rear wont turn, spin rear front wont turn), all wheels spin but click loudly when under engine power

when in N nothing happens, but if you spin the shaft by hand the other shaft turns as well, but under engine power nothing spins, no clicking

when in 4Low is same as 4hi, but with the normal 4low whining noise, and less clicking.

the clicking sounds similar to when your in 4x4 and you turn on pavement :p you know the binding/hopping/clicking noise.

i rip my truck apart all the time but this s the first time I've done something really major (ie tranny/engine/tranfercase)

I'm also buying a new part explorer with rebuild tranny/engine/tcase soon, so maybe i should just wait and put the new one in and just take my time and totally rebuild the old one?

Help :p

-Andy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back