• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Hello, here is my mail vehicle upgrade project. I have a 93 Limited 4x4 which was going to start costing a bunch of money to rebuild the chassis, to last another 5-10 years. The engine and trans have tough miles on them, the brakes are trouble now to service every year from mail delivery. It's a truck that is more trouble to care for, than to change to something else. So rebuild a bunch of things, or find something else that's better.

I decided to find a less expensive method to do that, including less than buying a later model. I found a 99 Limited 4x4 last Winter, for $1500. I originally wanted to swap only the chassis, not the dash or any body parts.

I discovered the differences in the two front clips, and decided to lessen the front end fabricating, wiring labor, etc. The front clip of the 99 was still good, so I am swapping the whole rear clip. By using the whole clip, with wiring, dash, AC, and everything under the hood, the clipping process is the hard part. So I'm rebuilding the 99 with the 93 rear clip, and some new 98-01 front end parts.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions, I'll do what I can to help. Regards,

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
I wnat pictures of the work.:D Good luck also, sounds very challenging.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
You could describe this as fixing the 99 with my 93 body, but I'm not trying to change vehicles, titles, or values. I'm only interested in maintaining the 93 body interior space, for my work. This is my work vehicle, it will not be sold, and I will wear it out.

Of course with any big project, there are changes in plans, and possible better solutions. I couldn't wait for some amazing deal on a later model, I don't usually get those. So this was more likely to get me a final product that I can use for work for many more years to come.

This picture is of a 94 Limited, just like mine started as. I had my 93 Limited painted in 2000, so it looked original except for the pinstripe.

Attachments

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I have been collecting parts for a long time. Finding time to work on the big stuff has been hard. I have had the 99 chassis and SOHC fully serviced for quite a while. I started this week on the actual cutting and body separating of the 93.

Attachments

Last edited:

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Here is the 99 Limited as it began, basically only one fender and the fender flares outside were usable.

Projectthread002.JPG

Last edited:

pughman

Reaction score
City, State
in a galaxy far far away "MISSOURI"
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
o ya ! this is going to be good ...

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
This is the 93 body being set onto the 99 chassis, before finishing the cuts. The center section accross the tunnel has already been cut. Regards,

Attachments

Ford_Racing_Guy

Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
dude this is an awesome project!

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
The cut accross the 93 body.

Attachments

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Sounds like one heck of a project. Good luck :)

96limitedX

Reaction score
VERY awsome project!! i cant wait to see it done.

are the fender flares/running boards any good from the '99 wrecked truck? are you planing on using them?

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Yes, I debated about using just my 93 running boards, the 99 type with flares, or the 95-978 style. I didn't run accross any of the 95-98 style easily, so I will use the 99 pieces. Other than glass damage, they're good.

Attachments

Djneff

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I would just buy another one. Time and mony put in ain't worth it.

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
wow thats ALOT of work, my kinda people!

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
A Frankensplorer...93/99 hybrid, those are always neat to read about, even neater to see in person.

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Um now wait a second.
First the Gen I front clip looked in good shape.

It is my understanding that the 2nd gen front clip will fit a Gen I, all you have to change out is the radiator support? fenders. header panel, hood, should all bolt up, no?

What is the purpose for the entire 99 clip?

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
CDW6212R said:
Yes, I debated about using just my 93 running boards, the 99 type with flares, or the 95-978 style. I didn't run accross any of the 95-98 style easily, so I will use the 99 pieces. Other than glass damage, they're good.
Are you keeping the 1st gen Limited grille? If you're just going to throw it away, I'll take it.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
The 93 front end is all good, all parts.

I could have sectioned the top half of the 99 front clip. That would have retained the fender mounting points, the radiator support match, and headlight space. That is the only good way to mount the 91-94 front end onto a 2ng gen. clip. Plus the bumper mounts are far different.

I chose not to do that because of that difficult sectioning. I didn't feel comfortable trying to do that myself, nor did I want to pay someone to come to do it. I left the clip intact, and found the other 95-01 parts to complete the front end. I only had to get two fenders, a hood and bumper.

I'll sell any of the 93 Limited front end parts. The 93 chassis is the big piece that I need to get rid of. The engine is really the only thing I'd rather not scrap. I don't have time to take everything apart. Regards,

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Here is the 93 clip cut off, and the start of fitting the 99 clip.

Attachments