Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

I have begun to get close with a larger set of brakes for my Mountaineer. Which of these would be better for my mail vehicle, the 12" stock 2001 brakes, or the custom 12.90" brakes/Corvette calipers?

Attachments

• brakes001.JPG
    brakes001.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,939
  • Brakeproject005.JPG
    Brakeproject005.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,906
  • Brakeproject010.JPG
    Brakeproject010.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,910

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please explain. I thought you were doing the sport trac rotors, where did this Wilwood stuff come from and Corvette calipers?? on a 99 Mounty?
As if I wasn't behind enough on this...

I had been after better brakes in general for a couple of years. I settled for the 12" brakes for my Explorer this past Spring. This Summer I came up with the idea of the Corvette calipers, a relatively inexpensive/common choice. My first bracket to use stock Cobra 13" rotors did get the parts into my 18" wheels. But the clearance to the outer spokes was less than I wanted, and likely no one else could use them.

The only solution was to build a two piece rotor, to locate the rotor inboard closer to where stock rotors set. That changed the project from a $600 total, to closer to $1100. At the moment I am tweaking the bracket offset dimension, to center the fixed caliper. I did discover that my 16" Limited wheels will clear these 12.90" rotors. Down the line, after getting some good use out of the 12" rotors, I can change to these if I like. Regards,

Attachments

• Brakeproject009.JPG
    Brakeproject009.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,876

that seems like a lot of work. why wouldnt you just get some 2 gen fenders, a hood, headerpanel, grille, lights, and a bumper ? seems like a lot less work.

btw it looks good

My goal is primarily to upgrade the chassis - engine, brakes, suspension, and transmission. I titled this thread about the front ends because of some other's questions about swapping them. The front clip for each generation is unique, it(or part of it) must be used to attach the other body parts. Regards,

I commend you for taking on such a large project :)

Are thoise 95-97 tail lights on that truck? How do they fit?

The 95-97 tail lights can be used on 91-94 models, if the front edge is trimmed straight to match the quarter panel. The cut edge and opening has to be filled of course, and the wiring for the turn signal would have to be separated from the 91-94 socket, and a later socket used for the turn signal. I have finished only one so far, and my wiring will be the 99 correct wiring for the lights. I may post some pictures of them later, regards.

Don, just wondering why you cut so far back behind the fire wall?

Kris Guilbeaux said:
Don, just wondering why you cut so far back behind the fire wall?

Kris, I had an expert body man look at the trucks before I started. He suggested that area, because it is one layer thick there, straight accross to the other side. It makes the grafting better, because the two parts are purposely cut longer, to overlap there.

I am at the moment making adjustments to the right side of the clip, as the right door mounted 1/8" too far forward when tested. Hopefully the next day that I can work on it, I will get all of it fitted and prepped for welding. Work, rain, and cold weather hasn't made it easy lately. Sundown at 5:30 sucks also. Regards,

Im interested in how much trimming you did to the 95+ tail lights.

The other question is, can I bolt a 95+ front end on a first gen without changing the 'clip' i.e. new fenders, header panel, bumper, grille, lights hood etc?

Thanks

Basically the 95+ tail lights have a rounded portion along the front edge, while the 91-94 is straight down. Essentially I cut the lense from the top corner where it starts down and forward, straight down. Give me a week or so and I'll get some pictures taken when I do the second lense.

The 2nd gen. front fenders and hood must have the top edge of the 95-01 front radiator support, all the way to the back corner of the hood. I started to cut that top third or half of the clip off, and retain my 93 front end on the 99. I settled for keeping the whole 99 front clip intact, and I have bought 95-01 fenders, hood, bumper, etc. The bumpers are shaped differently also, it would look better to keep the bumper matching the front end model, and the bumpers mount differently.

To swap the front end parts, the work to graft the top edge of the other clip is the best way to do the conversion. There are evidently some aftermarket fiberglass parts that may bolt on. Good luck,

this is comming along great
you are a crazy sob but it is sweet

I hate to sound negative but jesus that's a lot of work for nothing. You could have achieved the same results by welding in the centre part of the '99 firewall and modifying or replacing the rad support.

I thought of everything that I could do, including that. There are many many differences between the front clips, plus the frame snouts. Yes I could have cut less parts, etc. But in the end, all other choices result in more fabrication of many smaller items.

I do not want to have to fabricate mounts for every single part that attaches to the front clip. I am talking about every part under the hood, the bumper mounts, the dash mounts, etc.
Changing the front clips makes absolutely every part a bolt on. With the clip done accurately, that is the only hard part, and the rest is painting/reassembly. Regards,

I commend you for your project. This is exactly the way I would have gone about it.

Bravo!

Thanks Brian, how are you doing now, after the wreck? I wish the warm weather would hold on a little longer. Regards,

I like it!! I did somewhat the same thing to my 94 Lightning. I put an extened cab on and lengthened the frame. When I say same, I refer to where you cut the cab. We cut the floor of my cab and the donor cab in the same area as you did. We cut the top about halfway up the windsheild post and then welded it back. I was able to keep my 94 lightning vin, dash, wiring and all the other items on my original firewall. We painted the cab and everything else is still original. It is YOUR project and thanks for sharing it. I put a 2000 ranger motor in my 91 Explorer because I like the older X's better, so I understand. What part of TN do you live?

Hello David, I am in Knoxville. I believe that we have discussed something before, I can't remember what though. Thanks for the comments.

I like the seat sizing better on my 93, more than the later seats. The 93 driver's seat gives me slightly more room between the steering wheel, and a mail tray that I work out of. So since my 93 body and interior works great for my work, I am maintaining as much of it as possible. I use the later parts where they will more easily mount, or need less wiring/fabrication. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could not remember for sure but I thought it might be you again. I live in Kingston and work in west Knoxville. I put 95-6 seats in my other 91 I had and had to make mods to get them to bolt in. Thought I would pass that along.

Back