• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding Valve Body, Found this

Zed

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
So far this forum has been great, but I still need a little help. There is a spring near the connectors for the solenoids.

105_1091a.jpg

105_1110a.jpg

I am sure this isn't supposed to be here and I don't see any way this could have come out of my vb itself.

Conclusion: It must have come from the transmission (brilliant I know) but if it did, then from where? Any ideas. THe problem with the transmission is that it wont engage forward gears after a shift unless I leave it running for about 30 minutes with it in gear. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a TCC spring which Ford added as a TSB. It's used as a filter. This was added along with a snap in sock style filter into the VB separator plate which is another TSB. Ford has discontinued this spring. Could you measure the lenght, and diameter? I wanted to get these springs, but I don't have the specifications on them.

I will be sure to leave this in place. Thanks again for the help. The spring is 1-1/8" long and .258 in diameter. I had to use a ruler as I don't have a more accurate means, but I do have a micrometer. I guess 1/4" will be sufficient. I don't think it matters other than the spring not falling out, but it is pretty stiff. Too bad I can't put a compression gauge on it.

Thanks for the information! If it's not too much trouble, could you take a picture a little further back to get an idea where the spring is located? Ive made this thread a sticky for the time being. It should help a lot of people out.

This is as far away as I could get with the camera under the Explorer. Spring is in the lower right hand corner of the picture which is the rear driver side on the vehicle. Note the location in regards to the rooster comb for the shifter and the electrical connectors for the solenoids.

105_1120a.jpg

Thanks for posting that last picture. It's now much easier to visualize where it's located. I just want to make one correction to what you have posted. The spring is in the front near the bell housing, and is not closer to the rear of the vehicle.

I guess I have spent too much time twisted around under the vehicle. I forgot which way is up. Thanks for the correction.

Back