rebuilt tranny, do i do anything special?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rebuilt tranny, do i do anything special??

MARTY196

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque,New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
received new tranny, do i do anything special??

okay my 5 speed manual tranny arrived today, and i'll problably be putting it in within the next few days so.......

is there anything i need to do once its in? I'm assuming it not like gears that have to be broken in or anything does it ?

also what kind of fluid would you guys recommend to help it last?

also if there is anything else that you guys think i need to do please let me know, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btt

Hey Marty whats going on man. I tried to PM you back but I couldn't figure out this new system...lol ;) I am running the Ford Motorcraft FULL synthetic ATF. I have had it in for like a week now and it is the best thing I could have ever done for my trany. I thought I was loosing my clutch but my buddie told me to try this stuff first and well..... :D I can actualy shift again. It is not cheap stuff but if I could notice the stuff working moments after it went in I think it is well worth it. I think I paid about 20.00 a quart, so like 60.00 total.

Talk to you later,

Clint

The synthetic Ford fluid is called SYNTHETIC MERCON, and it is expensive. It is used in the Superduty ZF heavy duty tranny. I recommend that fluid...
You should go by the dealer to purchase it. If you want to save a few bucks the recommended fluid is actually mercon/dexron II & III. Use a synthetic gear additive (one quart or pint depending on which you use) and the regular fluid. BG sales an excellent additve for gear train If you can't find it at a parts store your local Ford dealer will most likely have it..

Yep that is the stuff I bought it from my buddy that runns a diesel performance shop :D I used to run the regular with the Lucas additive but this is much better in my opinion and even though it seems expencive now it may save your trany later ;) Big tires with low numerical gear ratios kill tranys/t-cases so this should help a lot in your case Marty.

Marty, may I ask where you got this transmission? I'm curious because I'm wanting to convert my '93/A4LD to a manual, and I would like to start with a fresh transmission.

This is a good post. I'll remember the suggestion of the Ford ATF.

F14CRAZY said:
Marty, may I ask where you got this transmission? I'm curious because I'm wanting to convert my '93/A4LD to a manual, and I would like to start with a fresh transmission.

This is a good post. I'll remember the suggestion of the Ford ATF.

I ordered it through Phoenix Hard Parts, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=2470005763
they have them on ebay but i called them and told them i wanted to order one instead of bidding on it at first they told me they would let me have it for 650.00 plus shipping which is 85.00 each way so i told them i would get back with them.

a week later i had the money and called and told them i was quoted 600.00 and 85.00 eash way and they said okay no problem they could sell it to me for that.

i ordered it on thursday 25,2004 and received it yesterday the 31st. Only thing is they sent me one for a 2wd not a 4x4 so i called them today and they said the right one is being shipped out today and should be here shortly
so we'll see what happends.

another member here named glfredrick also order one from them and said he has not had any problems with it yet. the warranty that comes with it is 12 month/12,000 mile so thats pretty good. one from a junk yard around here was going for 700.00 with a 60 day warranty :rolleyes:

hope that helps

Thanks Marty (I forgot the numbers already) I have seen the Phoenix trannys on ebay before. Sounds like calling them gets a discount, and you have had good business with them, but I like ebay's protection. (what little protection there is)

But thanks for the reply. $600 ain't bad compared to A4LDs, and them dying every other day

Back