Rebuilt tranny, now 4x4high flashing help me pls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt tranny, now 4x4high flashing help me pls

joners

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Last week my tranny was acting up on my 2003 Explorer XLT. It was slipping from 1st to 2nd. At first I thought the roads were really slippery, the next day it was really bad and the O/D light started to flash. Took it in to a shop and they pulled the pan and told me that the servo is a common thing to go and needs to be rebuilt.

The tranny shop does the repair. I pick the truck up and after the first turn onto the street the 4x4 High light is flashing 10x every couple mins. I pull into the gas station, fill up. Fire her back up call the tranny shop and he says that when he road tested it, it was fine. He says something about the computer relearning everything because the battery was disconnected, I agree somewhat, but in this case I dont. I put the truck in 4x4 High, and go to the store, everythings fine...Leave the store and go for a few minute drive and all is well. OK it was just a fluke thing...Well I put it back to 4x4 Auto and do a U-Turn, the 4X4 High light starts flashing 10x again. I get to the shop, and in the parking lot I give it some gas, and the back end whips out, well it's now 2WD...funny they dont come in 2WD. I shut the truck off. The shop owner takes the truck for a 10 minute road test, and nothing flashes. So we get back to the shop, I go home and its all good. Later that day I have to leave town for work. Take my truck to the airport and as soon as I get out of my backlane, the 4x4 High light is flashing. I shut it off, put it in 4x4 High and it stays in 4X4 High, no flashing lights. So I get back home, take the truck for a scoot and when I put it in 4x4 Auto it flashes, turn it off, put it in 4X4 High and it's fine.

On my 97 Explorer that I had, it kinda did the same thing but 4x4 high and 4x4low would flash. It seemed to be when the tire pressures werent even, as per the one shop I took it into, and that seemed to remedy the problem. So today I disconnected the battery on the 03, made sure the tire pressures are all good and then took it for a test drive. Well now the 4x4 High light comes on almost immediately, when in 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High. The thing is, if I put it in 4x4 Low when its flashing, it works fine.

Before I took the truck to the tranny shop, everything was working perfectly. So is this a sign of mechanical failure or could it be the 4x4 control module, or perhaps they forgot to connect some wiring harness's when they pulled the tranny? I have to take it in to the shop today for them to check the tranny to make sure nothings leaking, and to also check this issue out. Looking to get any feedback anyone may have. Sorry for the long post, but I am not impressed with this Explorer, it has less than half the mileage as my 97 did and I've already put more money in repairs into it.

Rebuilt the transfer case and she's all good now.

Back