Rebuilt tranny shudders?

Limited02

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gardner, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited V8
I just had my tranny rebuilt about a month ago. At first, it would shudder violently between gears. Now,it is not so bad, but it is noticeable. It seems to only do it on the 2-3, 3-4, and sometimes 4-5 shift. Rarely it will do so on the 1-2 shift. I took it back to the shop and we took it for a drive, and it was hard to tell because it didn't do it as bad and the roads out there sucked ass. Mechanic said the it's a "normal characteristic" of the 5r55w tranny because he has rebuilt many of them. I know for a fact it's not. So, why would a completely rebuilt tranny shudder between shifts? I am going to call and request a fluid and filter change. Please help me guys! Thanks.

Well you will likely have to take it back again. Drive around the area and find roads which are characteristic of where you drive so you can demo it to him. Shifts should be smooth and positive overall. Sound like the rebuild is faulty. IMO a fluid and filter change will resolve nothing with that low millage since the rebuild. Unless there is totally the wrong fluid in it and you never get more than 50% out in a drain anyway since the torque converter hold a lot of fluid.

Back