Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
I have a 93 Explorer that I just installed a newly rebuilt transmission in, and it will not engage into Drive. Everything was rebuilt including a Transgo shift kit in the valve body and some Sonnax parts. My mechanic said the PCM needs to relearn to shift. Is this true? I didn't think that the A4LD was electronically controlled at all besides the solenoids. Please help this is the second transmission I had installed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess what my question is, do I need to do anything with the ECU? reprogram? Install a new one? after installing a rebuilt transmission?
It seems to have the same problem as the first salvage transmission I put in. Won't go into gear unless I rev the engine above 4k rpm a few times.

This wont have anything to do with the computer (PCM), the guy who told you this is completely wrong and now I would questioning his building capabilities.

If it has a good reverse and no drive the only thing it can be is a problem with the forward clutch, especially if you have to rev the engine.

If it won't go into any gear after rebuild, things like a missing input shaft, broken pump, low fluid, wrong or loose filter would be the areas to check.

You are having a tough time with thing for sure.

I will have to check for reverse on Monday. I'm steering towards the pump since I rebuilt all the clutches myself. There's only one way to go back together!

This wont have anything to do with the computer (PCM), the guy who told you this is completely wrong and now I would questioning his building capabilities.

If it has a good reverse and no drive the only thing it can be is a problem with the forward clutch, especially if you have to rev the engine.

If it won't go into any gear after rebuild, things like a missing input shaft, broken pump, low fluid, wrong or loose filter would be the areas to check.

You are having a tough time with thing for sure.

Started the explorer today and NO gears at all! Not even with reving up the engine. My mechanic informed me that he only put 7 quarts of fluid in and it started overflowing out of the vent tube. I know it should at least take 10. Does this pretty much narrow it down to the pump being the problem? Haven't hook up the pressure gauge yet, but will tomorrow.

If you can only put 7qts in (with the engine running) and it starts to leak from the vent, the pump is not working.

Your gauge will tell you for sure.

When you installed to the transmission did you make sure the converter was fully engaged into the transmission?

He installed it so I'm not sure about the converter. I know you can hear it spinning when it's running. I'm probably going to take it out and swap in the other one because I know it's good. I'm just concerned about aligning it, I know there is a special tool you can get, or can I just eyeball it?

No pressure in any gear! Guess I need a new pump.

For someone who rebuilds transmissions to break the pump during the install because it wasn't all the way in tells me he doesn't know what he is doing. Find a different mechanic for sure.

I actually believe the pump had failed to begin with and that's why I had it removed and I'm the one who rebuilt it, but I never bothered replacing the pump in the process! I just assumed by the looks of the clutch plates that was the only problem, that was my bad. At this point I'm not paying for anymore work to be done, my mechanic has agreed to let me work on it myself and use his lift and tools, so that's a plus!

Did you check the seals on the filter since the filter is the lower sump? I assume that you used a new filter & O rings. The 4 X 4 filter is much deeper than the standard size filter. A standard filter won't work with a deep 4 X 4 pan.

No I didn't. Would that cause it to have absolutley no pressure?

Yes! If the filter (which is the INLET) to the pump is suspended in "air" instead of oil, don't expect the pump to do anything al all.

If it were me, I would dump two or so more qts. of fluid in, start up, and see if pressure builds. If fluid does not puke out anywhere, but no pressure at all, dump in some more. Lot easier than tearing the box out of the vehicle, to find that the pump is OK after all. imp

Yes, and I'm not going to be happy if I find out the wrong filter was put in. I already have a new pump on order and will be here tomorrow.
By the looks of the pump it's hard for me to see where that would fail unless the gears get ground down or they just completely break for some reason. My mechanic told me he made sure the TC was locked in the pump before he mounted it to the flywheel. If it turns out to be the filter I will be pretty relieved.

The inner pump gear can be installed facing the wrong direction, if this is done the pump will quickly fail. So look for that if you have to go into the pump.

The pump was actually never removed from the bell housing. That's the one thing I didn't bother with, but I will check. Thanks for all the info.

Yes! If the filter (which is the INLET) to the pump is suspended in "air" instead of oil, don't expect the pump to do anything al all.

If it were me, I would dump two or so more qts. of fluid in, start up, and see if pressure builds. If fluid does not puke out anywhere, but no pressure at all, dump in some more. Lot easier than tearing the box out of the vehicle, to find that the pump is OK after all. imp

The filter is the right one and it is installed correctly. I guess I will have to tear the thing out and replace the pump.

The inner pump gear can be installed facing the wrong direction, if this is done the pump will quickly fail. So look for that if you have to go into the pump.

The pump I received came with the gears out and one side of the inner gear has 2 bevels on it, which way does it go in? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bevels face the front seal. As you have the pump body and gears on bench facing up the inner gear bevels should be facing you. Also you will need to align the pump to the bell. Can use converter but not recomended. You need the alingment tool. Or take it to a transmission shop and have them do it for you. Not worth the risk of damaged parts and labor times to chance it.

Back