Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear

Don't really want to spend the money on a tool, unless I can find one for less than $140.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, PM your address and i will send you out a plastic one that comes in shift kits. Dont chance a pump on something that needs to be right. Also check your converter hub very close for damage. A couple pics of hub would be nice. Good luck!

After installing a new pump, does it need to be primed? How do I go about doing that?

The pump can't be primed. The transmission has most of the fluid in the pan when the engine is off. The rest of the fluid is still in the torque converter, front cooler, lines, valve body, clutch packs, servo bores, and other parts. I'm sure that the pump retains some fluid, but not a lot when it's off. There are passages where the fluid slowly drains as it sits.

Ok, just trying to rule out any other issues before I continue to pull this thing out again. I've got everything pretty much apart except the exhaust and bell housing bolts, oh and the transfer case. I would like to drain more fluid out of it as well. Can I do that somewhere on the TC? Looks like there is a drain plug on the back of it.

Could it be possible that the pump inner gears had broke for some reason?

Sure its not uncommon for the gear to fail.

Is there a way to drain all of the fluid out via the TC? I want to avoid any fluid spilling out when I remove the TC and the bell housing.

No easy way. Just be ready for the mess. Also stand trans up in pan or something before removing bell housing. It will help keep everything in place when you remove bell/pump. Did the tool show up?

No easy way. Just be ready for the mess. Also stand trans up in pan or something before removing bell housing. It will help keep everything in place when you remove bell/pump. Did the tool show up?

It hasn't shown up yet. I'm hoping to get it removed today and hopefully work on the pump on Monday. Crappy thing about this whole situation is its snowing here and my son needs this vehicle pretty bad, and I have to work on it outside! Haha

Sure enough the inner gear was cracked. It actually burned and warped the TC spindle so the new gear wouldn't lock in. Luckily I had the salvage tranny for parts! Thanks for everyone's help.

Got the tranny back on and now there is no Reverse. When I put it in Drive it starts to go but then looses everything, like it's not staying engaged! I think it's time to sell!

Check the adjustment of the shift cable.

I'm not sure if it's that simple. When I first started it and put it in Drive in went right into gear and went forward but then gradually lost pulling power. It's tries to go, like it moves a little, but doesn't go! I think it's maybe a valve body thing. I'm not sure!!!!
I will check the cable anyway.

If it's not the mechanical adjustment then it might be a hydraulic pressure issue.

It is a pressure issue. I actually was able to drive it home tonight. It seems to drive when it's cold, but after it warms up it slips until it eventually has no power at all and won't go anywhere.
I'm leaning towards a leaking seal somewhere. I rebuilt that transmission myself and replaced all the seals in the drums. Could it be a valve body issue?
It's like when the fluid gets warm and starts to thin there is some flow by somewhere. Possibly that wide seal in the direct drum? What about no reverse?

Add a little Lucas for transmissions. It causes seals to swell to make a tigher fit. If that doesn't do the job then you might have a misaligned or torn seal somewhere. Did you have any difficulty installing the center support with the seals?

Add a little Lucas for transmissions. It causes seals to swell to make a tigher fit. If that doesn't do the job then you might have a misaligned or torn seal somewhere. Did you have any difficulty installing the center support with the seals?

No difficulty at all. I'll try the Lucas.
Could it have anything to do with the torque converter? Like if I didn't fill it with fluid before I put it in? There was some fluid in it but not even a quart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A4LD No reverse and slips in forward gears

Newly rebuilt transmission has no reverse and goes forward when cold. Loses all power and slips when hot. Valve body or leaking seal inside the case?????

Back